Old 14-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Wishy13764

Default Any Bougainvillia experts here?

I made a couple of cuttings a couple of weeks ago of my Barbra Kurst variety,
one of the easiest to grow in the Bougie family, for me anyway. He dropped its
last bloom so I cut it back for new growth. its in a pot, indoors, here in the
east. 2 of the cuttings have shown new leafs at the tips, but when i check for
roots, i don't see any. If I plant them as they are, would they grow without
showing roots? I would keep it a closed container for humidity sake. Also, I
have another Bogie, that goes as a Harissi variety with variegated leaves, but
no flowers in 6 years...why? I treat it the same as the one above and that
blooms at least twice a year.
Old 15-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Jim Lewis

"Wishy13764" wrote in message
I made a couple of cuttings a couple of weeks ago of my Barbra

Kurst variety,
one of the easiest to grow in the Bougie family, for me anyway.

He dropped its
last bloom so I cut it back for new growth. its in a pot,

indoors, here in the
east. 2 of the cuttings have shown new leafs at the tips, but

when i check for
roots, i don't see any. If I plant them as they are, would they

grow without
showing roots? I would keep it a closed container for humidity

sake. Also, I
have another Bogie, that goes as a Harissi variety with

variegated leaves, but
no flowers in 6 years...why? I treat it the same as the one

above and that
blooms at least twice a year.

A couple of weeks is a bit brief -- especially this time of year.
Keep the cuttings in a greenhouse (or some other warm, humid
environment, and give them several weeks' more time. Bottom heat
would be appreciated, I'm sure.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

Old 16-12-2003, 05:03 AM
Peter Jason

A while ago I planted 5 bouganvilleas in a row to be sure of getting one.
As it turned out three took and bloomed.

The most vigourous was a violet one closely followed by a pure white one,
and just lately an orange one is breaking through.

Having the three colours together gives a fantastic display, though I have
to cut them back severly sometimes, and the things bloom all year round!

Have you tried some rooting powder (indoleacetic acid and 2,4,T mixture)
with the cuttings?

Old 18-12-2003, 12:21 AM
Wishy13764

Have you tried some rooting powder (indoleacetic acid and 2,4,T mixture)
with the cuttings?

Yes! What about the Harassi variety..no blooms in 6 years.

Old 20-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Wishy13764

Too much water / fertilizer ??

I only water my Bogies when they show signs of wilting, and fertilize once or
so in the summer with 15 20 15. These are in pots, so i don't want them to get
them to overgrow the pots. I would fertilize more if they were planted in the
ground.