Old 06-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Aaron

Default How to remove rock garden?

Mt wife and I have recently purchased a home that had (at some point)
a large area (maybe 30' by 25') which was once a rock garden (no rock
bigger than 3"). With no knowledge of rock gardens (or gardening in
general), it would appear that it hasn't been taken care of in many,
many years. We would both rather restore the space to grass as the
rest of the lawn is absolutely beautiful, and we would like to utilize
the space.
Does anyone have any suggestions as I have searched endlessly for
weeks in both Google and other sites. Maybe I'm not coming up with
the correct key-words, but I have yet to find anything informative. I
also realize that this may be a project better left for my checkbook,
but I would still like to know exactly what needs to be done.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2004, 11:05 PM
StanB

"Aaron" wrote in message
om...

Mt wife and I have recently purchased a home that had (at some point)
a large area (maybe 30' by 25') which was once a rock garden (no rock
bigger than 3"). With no knowledge of rock gardens (or gardening in
general), it would appear that it hasn't been taken care of in many,
many years. We would both rather restore the space to grass as the
rest of the lawn is absolutely beautiful, and we would like to utilize
the space.

A rake, shovel, and wheelbarrow?

Old 07-10-2004, 01:15 AM
Jane

My landscape book discourages rock gardens unless you really want it since
picking the rocks back up in nothing but labor. In other words, there
really no easy way to remove them.

om...

Old 14-10-2004, 03:00 AM
Shell

We had a neighbor who had a front yard of those white marble chips. The
people who bought the house when they moved removed the rocks by renting one
of those tiny buldozers and loading up the bed of thier pickup truck. Don't
know where they dumped the rocks but I do know the rock layer was only about
5 inches thick and once the front yard was free of rocks and levele they put
in some topsoil and had turf put down. Its a nice green yard now and you'd
never know it used to be white rocks, The removal took them about 2 days.

Shell
"StanB" wrote in message

"Aaron" wrote in message
om...

Mt wife and I have recently purchased a home that had (at some point)
a large area (maybe 30' by 25') which was once a rock garden (no rock
bigger than 3"). With no knowledge of rock gardens (or gardening in
general), it would appear that it hasn't been taken care of in many,
many years. We would both rather restore the space to grass as the
rest of the lawn is absolutely beautiful, and we would like to utilize
the space.

A rake, shovel, and wheelbarrow?

---