Old 07-10-2004, 05:34 PM
t3606aw

Default Carpenter bee problem

Read lots of suggestions getting rid of carpenter bees but I'm still
at a lost for which method to use (home remedy or professional). The
bees are inside of my garage (between the exterior brick, the wall,
and possibly the attic). The most obvious entry hole is a ½ inch
diameterthrough the exterior brick (I'm sure there are secondary
entries as well).

I want to wait until sunset and patch the hole (mortar?) after spaying
a pesticide into the hole (which type I haven't decided???). Does
this sound like a plan, or should I just call an expert (I rather save
the money)?

Any proven successes would be welcome.

Thanks,
Old 09-10-2004, 12:51 AM
Keith A. Lewis

(t3606aw) writes in article dated 7 Oct 2004 09:34:33 -0700:
Read lots of suggestions getting rid of carpenter bees but I'm still
at a lost for which method to use (home remedy or professional). The
bees are inside of my garage (between the exterior brick, the wall,
and possibly the attic). The most obvious entry hole is a ½ inch
diameterthrough the exterior brick (I'm sure there are secondary
entries as well).

Are you sure they're carpenter bees? Carpenter bees like to make holes in
wood, not brick. And they are solitary. If you're seeing multiple bees
sharing a single entrance you probably have some kind of hive.

I want to wait until sunset and patch the hole (mortar?) after spaying
a pesticide into the hole (which type I haven't decided???). Does
this sound like a plan, or should I just call an expert (I rather save
the money)?

I talked to a pro about my carpenter bees, and the guy said he wouldn't even
worry about it.

"Carpenter bees are best controlled by placing ready
to use diazinon, or contact sprays of pyrethroids in the
tunnels. After thoroughly treating, plug the entrance
with a dowel of the appropriate size. It may be helpful
to treat the sites used, or most likely to be used, with
one of the residual insecticides mentioned previously.
This should be done in the spring prior to the time when
the bees begin nest construction."
http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod02/01500558.html

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:56 PM
DavesVideo

Keith A. Lewis said:

I talked to a pro about my carpenter bees, and the guy said he wouldn't even

worry about it.

Must be you had a very minor infestation since carpenter bees can just about
destroy a wood house. My guess is you just had a few making holes. They each
make a hole, so if you have hundreds it can be a mess. Worse is the secondary
problem, woodpeckers take that little hole and make a gaping cavrern looking
for a treat.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

[IMG] code is On

carpenter bee Willi_9 Garden Photos 0 02-07-2016 09:05 PM
Carpenter Bee Insect Pest Control Guide With Pictures Paul Michaels Gardening 4 01-07-2007 12:10 AM
Carpenter Bee Control Guide - w/ pictures Paul Michaels Lawns 0 29-06-2007 04:06 PM
Carpenter Bee's!!!! dyork Lawns 10 06-05-2007 04:42 AM
FLORIDA CARPENTER ANT problem on outside of house Jazz Gardening 4 01-04-2007 12:08 AM