Old 08-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Jimmy Egan

Default cats using my garden as their litter box

Is there a safe and natural way to keep cats from using my nice never walked
on garden beds as a litter box ? I have tried hot pepper flakes and ammonia
without success. This is becoming a large problem. Especially when your yard
begins to smell of cat urine and feces. It is a small yard in suburban Long
Island. Any help would be appreciated as I would like the cats to never be
in my yard ... Thanks in advance ...

Old 08-10-2004, 04:46 AM
Sterling

I have heard that you can embed plastic forks (with the tines up and the
sharper the better) under pine straw mulch and the cats will learn not
to tip toe into your flower beds. I have also seen - maybe at Gardeners
Supply - sharp grids to place in the beds to discourage cats.

yeah - here it is:
http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/se...dGroupID=11687 called scat
cat mats

looking at the pictures - you might take some hardware cloth and make
your own.

also
http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/se...cmCategoryID=9

Old 08-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Frogleg

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 01:44:18 GMT, "Jimmy Egan"
wrote:

Is there a safe and natural way to keep cats from using my nice never walked
on garden beds as a litter box ? I have tried hot pepper flakes and ammonia
without success. This is becoming a large problem.

Use Google groups and search this group for 'cats'. You will find
miles and miles of threads on cat discouragement.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:15 PM

a water cannon works great. in winter put down that green coated 2" x 4" wire
fencing stuff. the other alternative is a take em alive trap and drop the cats off
at the local humane society. Ingrid

"Jimmy Egan" wrote:

Is there a safe and natural way to keep cats from using my nice never walked
on garden beds as a litter box ? I have tried hot pepper flakes and ammonia
without success. This is becoming a large problem. Especially when your yard
begins to smell of cat urine and feces. It is a small yard in suburban Long
Island. Any help would be appreciated as I would like the cats to never be
in my yard ... Thanks in advance ...

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:52 PM
escapee

I have three neighbors who have a total of 7 cats who roam. I love cats and
would never do a thing to them, but it is starting to be ridiculous. One of the
cats sits on our roof, hunting birds. That's out of the question. So, we wrote
them all a nice note, and they are all on their third call with Animal Control
and next time they are all fined 100 each cat, each offense. These cats are
supposed to be leashed, or inside, and have tags. People who let their cats
roam around when clearly there are coyotes also roaming around do not love their
cats. Oh well. I will put better cat proofing around. My husband hates that
we have to do that, but the people with the cats don't care and I doubt fines
will change anything. However, I fully intend to see them all fined. Their cats
are in my yard daily, stalking and killing birds who I lure in with feeders.
That, is unacceptable.

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:15:49 GMT, opined:

"Jimmy Egan" wrote:

Is there a safe and natural way to keep cats from using my nice never walked
on garden beds as a litter box ? I have tried hot pepper flakes and ammonia
without success. This is becoming a large problem. Especially when your yard
begins to smell of cat urine and feces. It is a small yard in suburban Long
Island. Any help would be appreciated as I would like the cats to never be
in my yard ... Thanks in advance ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 14-10-2004, 11:46 AM
SVTKate

I used to use the little skewers that you buy to make kabobs with. It only
took a couple of weeks and they were happily crapping all over my grass
instead of my flower beds.

Since I am now a domestic slave to a feline (those who have cats and think
otherwise are deluding themselves) I have learned a few things.
My kitty always wants to sniff whatever I am cooking or eating. Of course I
do not always humor her, but there are times when I choose to amuse her.
After all, cats aren't the only ones that can be independent when they want
to be.

She does NOT like anything citrus or onions or garlic. She scrinches up her
face and backs off giving me a look that says "WHY did you do that to me?"

So, you may be able to grind up citrus peels, garlic and/or onions and
sprinkle this concoction about to see if it helps. I read recently that a
cat's sense of smell is something like 300 times what ours is.

In the past, before the bamboo skewers and Miss izzy, I tried all sorts of
things to ward off cats. Pepper flakes do not work. Some snail granules
(Corey's) attract kittys.

Kate

Old 14-10-2004, 11:53 AM
SVTKate

I sure do see your point.
BUT, I found the best way to keep neighbors cats out of your yard, is to get
one of your own.
After I got my cat and she grew up, she would wait outside just to defend
her turf. She had her own little place in the yard with sand in it for a
potty and after she came to live with us there were seldom any interlopers
that didn't leave without a butt kicking.

Yup, an occasional bird (very rarely, maybe three in as many years) got
caught, but that would happen anyway. That's a basic fact of nature. It's
not pleasant, but you can't fight it. Could those cats be coming in BECAUSE
of the bird population from your feeders? (just food for thought)
Now that we are thankfully living way out in the country this same kitty
still defends her turf, catches moles and meeces and earns her keep.
In the city, other people's pets can become a real nuisance. The neighbor we
had and his two huge barking dogs is one of the primary reasons for our
selling our home and getting out.

Kate

http://puregold.aquaria.net/

Old 14-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

SVTKate quoth:

She does NOT like anything citrus or onions or garlic. She scrinches up her
face and backs off giving me a look that says "WHY did you do that to me?"

Most cats don't like citrus, and good thing she doesn't like onions or
garlic. They're both in the family of vegies that give cats hemolytic
anemia, which can make them very sick and/or kill them.

Priscilla
Old 14-10-2004, 08:47 PM
SVTKate

She likes green beans and a taste of avocado though, the little mooch.

Old 14-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

SVTKate quoth:
She likes green beans and a taste of avocado though, the little mooch.

No problem with those! ;-) One of mine is nuts about anything in the
cabbage family -- cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower. He also likes
mushrooms.

Priscilla

Old 17-10-2004, 11:50 AM
SVTKate

How funny!
I will have to offer Izzy some of those and see what her reaction is.