Old 09-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Gloria

Default Gardenia advice

I found some gardenia bushes on sale and I couldn't resist them. I have not
had any luck with them in the past, but I have seen them flourish in yards
in my area, zone 7, NE Alabama. Any advice on where to plant them, (north,
south, east or west side of my house), sun, shade or both, as well as how to
transplant them into the ground from the pots they came in, what and when to
fertilize, will be much appreciated.

Gloria

---

Old 10-10-2004, 07:43 PM
David Ross

Gloria wrote:

I found some gardenia bushes on sale and I couldn't resist them. I have not
had any luck with them in the past, but I have seen them flourish in yards
in my area, zone 7, NE Alabama. Any advice on where to plant them, (north,
south, east or west side of my house), sun, shade or both, as well as how to
transplant them into the ground from the pots they came in, what and when to
fertilize, will be much appreciated.

Gardenias prefer full or part sun. They do well in the shade only
in climates that are quite hot in the summer. I have a "Veitchii"
in part sun that is covered with flowers right now; I have had this
bush for about 15 years.

They need acidic soil that drains well. For clay soil, mix in a
lot of peat moss and gypsum; and plant slightly raised. If the
soil tends to be alkaline, stir a little sulfur into the soil
(especially near the top). Gardenias prefer a soil that is
constantly moist but never soggy.

Mix a lot of bone meal or super-phosphate into the bottom of the
planting hole. Phosphorus promotes blooming. Once established,
gardenias can be heavy feeders. That is, they like a lot of
nutrients. Just wait until they are in the ground about a year;
otherwise, you will promote growth of foliage beyond what existing
roots can support with moisture. After a year, you can actually
use any generic lawn food that does NOT include weed killer.
Alternatively, you can use citrus food, which is what I use. Feed
about once a month from early spring through mid-fall.

Gardenias like extra zinc. If flower buds form and then drop off
the plant, give it a small dose of zinc sulfate (now hard to
find). In alkaline soil, supplement the fertilizer with iron
sulfate even if you have used sulfur. Gypsum and sulfur may have
to be renewed once a year.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 13-10-2004, 05:36 AM
Gloria

Thanks David...great information.

Gloria

"David Ross" wrote in message
Gloria wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

History And Care Of Gardenia Plants And Gardenia Flowers BobWalsh Gardening 12 19-02-2012 04:30 AM
Transplanting a mature gardenia bush, advice? meexie North Carolina 4 13-02-2006 02:25 AM
Gardenia Honky Nut Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
gardenia help req ÑòDd¥ Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Gardenia Susan Gardening 2 02-03-2003 05:39 AM