Old 16-10-2004, 07:04 AM
culprit

Default pruning abelia

i have "edward goucher" glossy abelia planted in front of my porch as
"foundation plantings". i planted them from containers this spring, and
they're getting extremely leggy, and the long, straight stems run out
horizontally from the plant. there's some thicker, shrubbier bits at the
bottom, which are blooming nicely right now.

the question is, how and when should i prune the long leggy bits to promote
a more even growth? or is this even possible? i've currently got the long
stems tied and staked so that they don't run out into the lawn.

oh, i'm in zone 8, if that matters.

-kelly

Old 16-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Pam - gardengal

"culprit" wrote in message
i have "edward goucher" glossy abelia planted in front of my porch as
"foundation plantings". i planted them from containers this spring, and
they're getting extremely leggy, and the long, straight stems run out
horizontally from the plant. there's some thicker, shrubbier bits at the
bottom, which are blooming nicely right now.

the question is, how and when should i prune the long leggy bits to

promote
a more even growth? or is this even possible? i've currently got the

long
stems tied and staked so that they don't run out into the lawn.

oh, i'm in zone 8, if that matters.

-kelly

I see from your other post that you are in Washington and if in zone 8, that
means western Washington. Here, you can prune back those leggy bits now.
FWIW, Abelia 'Edward Goucher' gets to be a big rangy, arching shrub - easily
6'x6'. You might want to reconsider the placement of this is that is too
large for your area. IMO, continual pruning of abelia is not desireable and
other than an occasional trimming of really wayward growth, they should be
left alone.

pam - gardengal

Old 16-10-2004, 05:10 PM
MLEBLANCA

[...]

I have 'Edward Goucher

[...]

I have Edward Goucher in Northern CA zone 8. It is a big! shrub reaching 8
feet.

You might want to reconsider the placement of this is that is too
large for your area

It defintely wants to be a large shrub and will require much time to try to
keep it small,not a front of the porch plast.

IMO, continual pruning of abelia is not desireable and
other than an occasional trimming of really wayward growth, they should be
left alone.

Indeed, it is a lovely arching shrub with flowers that are loved by butterflies
and hummingbirds. Hardly ever out of bloom when it is not scalped and forced
to be a Meat Ball Bush. Nicely scented, too.

pam - gardengal

Emilie
NorCal
zone 8

Old 19-10-2004, 11:29 AM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Pruning help:
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/TPRUNING.html

Check your library. Make sure its by SHIGO. Or cantact them for a copy.
Its a great source.

--
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

Old 20-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Christopher Green

"culprit" wrote in message ...
i have "edward goucher" glossy abelia planted in front of my porch as
"foundation plantings". i planted them from containers this spring, and
they're getting extremely leggy, and the long, straight stems run out
horizontally from the plant. there's some thicker, shrubbier bits at the
bottom, which are blooming nicely right now.

the question is, how and when should i prune the long leggy bits to promote
a more even growth? or is this even possible? i've currently got the long
stems tied and staked so that they don't run out into the lawn.

oh, i'm in zone 8, if that matters.

-kelly

You can prune the bejeezus out of Abelia. Cut buggywhips back to
likely-looking nodes; it will bounce back and branch quickly.

You can even shear it, but I don't like to do so, as it cuts down on
flowers. Just set limits on how big you are going to let it get, and
head back anything that grows out of bounds (which it will do
enthusiastically).

--
Chris Green

[IMG] code is On

Abelia Tina Morris United Kingdom 0 02-06-2008 12:33 AM
Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Andrew G Bonsai 0 30-06-2004 01:05 PM
Abelia scent Glen Able United Kingdom 1 01-06-2004 08:14 PM
[IBC] Abelia Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 28-06-2003 09:44 PM
[IBC] Abelia and Camelellia sasanqua Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 11:20 PM