Old 16-10-2004, 07:11 AM
culprit

Default cherry slug?

there are worms on my cherry and plum trees, which are eating windowpane
type holes in the leaves. a google image search brought me to this:

http://www.gardensafari.net/pics/wes...i_hs0_2370.jpg

they call it a "cherry slug", and say it's a sawfly larva, but i can only
find info on it in non-US websites. i live in WA state in the US, so i'm
wondering if this is a native pest, or something that got imported with my
trees (i have no idea where they came from).

will this pest go away with the winter, or do i need to spray my trees now?
is there an effective biological control? or am i reduced to use a soap
spray?

thanks,

-kelly

Old 16-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Pam - gardengal

"culprit" wrote in message
there are worms on my cherry and plum trees, which are eating windowpane
type holes in the leaves. a google image search brought me to this:

http://www.gardensafari.net/pics/wes...i_hs0_2370.jpg

they call it a "cherry slug", and say it's a sawfly larva, but i can only
find info on it in non-US websites. i live in WA state in the US, so i'm
wondering if this is a native pest, or something that got imported with my
trees (i have no idea where they came from).

will this pest go away with the winter, or do i need to spray my trees

now?
is there an effective biological control? or am i reduced to use a soap
spray?

These are the larvae of the pear sawfly and are not exotic pests - pretty
common to many areas of the country and are very fond of pears, cherries,
plums, hawthorns, etc. They have a number of natural predators and can be
controlled both by spraying off with a strong stream of water or by using
insecticidal soap. Not much point in doing anything right now, as the trees
will be dropping their leaves (and the slugs) soon. Monitor them in the
spring after the new leaves emerge and treat then as necessary.

pam - gardengal

Old 17-10-2004, 04:58 AM
culprit

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message
These are the larvae of the pear sawfly and are not exotic pests - pretty
common to many areas of the country and are very fond of pears, cherries,
plums, hawthorns, etc. They have a number of natural predators and can be
controlled both by spraying off with a strong stream of water or by using
insecticidal soap. Not much point in doing anything right now, as the
trees
will be dropping their leaves (and the slugs) soon. Monitor them in the
spring after the new leaves emerge and treat then as necessary.

fantastic, this is just what i was hoping to hear.

thanks!

-kelly