Old 19-10-2004, 05:46 AM
sherwindu

Default Rose of Sharon problem

I have a Rose of Sharon planted from a whip about 8 years ago. It has
been a steady producer of blossoms. I have been pruning it down to keep
it from covering
a bedroom window on the South side of the house. The tree looks healthy
except that none of the numerous buds ever opened this year. It
receives almost full sun and
is watered regularly. What would keep the flower buds from opening? We
live in
a north suburb of Chicago.

Sherwin D.

Old 19-10-2004, 09:12 AM
paghat

In article , sherwindu
wrote:

I have a Rose of Sharon planted from a whip about 8 years ago. It has
been a steady producer of blossoms. I have been pruning it down to keep
it from covering
a bedroom window on the South side of the house. The tree looks healthy
except that none of the numerous buds ever opened this year. It
receives almost full sun and
is watered regularly. What would keep the flower buds from opening? We
live in
a north suburb of Chicago.

Sherwin D.

Some possibilities:

1) A dry heatwave which even a hardy rose of sharon found offending &
which baked the buds

2) An unseasonal freeze that stopped them in their development.

3) Being given nitrogen fertilizer (makes the leaves over-happy, stops the
flowers).

4) Poor watering practices (they're easily overwatered, but they do also
have limits of xeriscaping tolerance, so that both too wet or too dry is
bad; it's especially harmful to water rose-of-sharon too regularly)

5) Getting too much shade, which you indicate ain't it.

6) Thrips ate into the buds

7) Root system is unrestricted & it expended energy that would otherwise
have gone to flowering in preparing itself to sucker like the devil next
year.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 23-10-2004, 03:04 AM
Marley1372

You're only suppose to prune these in late fall. Other than that, Rose
of Sharon usually grow like a weed.

You can prune them whenever you want, plants dont read newsgroups or books.

Toad
Old 23-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Phisherman

I have a Rose of Sharon planted from a whip about 8 years ago. It has
been a steady producer of blossoms. I have been pruning it down to keep
it from covering

I prune mine back when the seed pods are forming (September), and I
cut the hedge back about 1/3. This encourages a thicker hedge the
following year. I have another ROS hedge that hides the compost
bins--I have not trimmed back this one and it is over 15 feet tall (it
must be happy next to all that compost.) These grow like weeds and
you can probably trim them at any time and often.

[IMG] code is On

propagating Rose of Sharon Neil Gardening 6 02-06-2003 11:56 AM
[IBC] ??Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) good for bonsai??? Bob Bugay Bonsai 3 10-05-2003 04:08 AM
Pruning Rose of Sharon? Natty_Dread Gardening 4 15-04-2003 02:20 AM
Rose of Sharon hugh mcmanus Roses 1 13-04-2003 03:32 AM
Double Rose of Sharon (peach or apricot) Purchgdss Gardening 2 31-03-2003 12:08 AM