GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   "Vote for insanity. You know it makes sense." -Lord Sutch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/85190-%22vote-insanity-you-know-makes-sense-%22-lord-sutch.html)

Ann 16-11-2004 10:18 AM

escape expounded:

She quoted every word you said.

And misinterpreted it on purpose. Janet got it, I think you did, too.
But because our politics differ, you're playing dumb. Ok.

I also don't put people into neat categories, as it
seems you feel comfortable doing.

Oh, of course you don't. You never talk about conservatives in a
general way quote: '...and today I was in the truck and heard some of
Hannity's show and he and the former Bush campaign muckity muck was
praising god and "the lord" with Hannity
that Bush won. Yay.': end quote

And before you go into another one of your anti-religion rants,
remember who you're talking to.
http://www.pantheism.net/paul/index.htm In case you don't understand
my point, you quite frequently put people into neat categories. Many
people do. It's amazing to me how many claim they don't when caught.

But that's okay, you must be very happy now.

Now why would I be happy? You must be happy for 'exposing' me. Well,
aren't you?

I'm not happy at all with the outcome of the election, because there
wasn't anyone to vote for. I voted against Kerry and would do it
again in a heartbeat.

Once again, as I've said many times, hopefully next time around there
will be someone worth voting for.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Ann 16-11-2004 10:19 AM

"Jim Carlock" expounded:

Next election...
Skull and Bones (R)
Skull and Bones (D)
Unknown Wildcard Independents

Oh, I hope not. We've got to break the Republican/Democrat logjam
somehow. I wish the Libertarians would get it together somehow. But
I'm afraid you're right. MOTS.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

escape 16-11-2004 01:33 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:18:48 -0500, Ann opined:

And misinterpreted it on purpose. Janet got it, I think you did, too.
But because our politics differ, you're playing dumb. Ok.

I didn't misinterpret it, or interpret it. I read it and it spoke for itself.
It's a parrot of what I'm hearing on the conservative talk radio shows. Nothing
original.

I also don't put people into neat categories, as it
seems you feel comfortable doing.

Oh, of course you don't. You never talk about conservatives in a
general way quote: '...and today I was in the truck and heard some of
Hannity's show and he and the former Bush campaign muckity muck was
praising god and "the lord" with Hannity
that Bush won. Yay.': end quote

I didn't mention the word conservative. I was expressing my aghast at how this
country is turning into a religious state where masses of people are swaying
politics because of their god. That scares me.

And before you go into another one of your anti-religion rants,
remember who you're talking to.
http://www.pantheism.net/paul/index.htm In case you don't understand
my point, you quite frequently put people into neat categories. Many
people do. It's amazing to me how many claim they don't when caught.

I didn't have time or desire to read the website, but I don't think religion has
any place in politics or government. No place at all. That is not the same
thing as anti-religion ranting. I am a very active practitioner in my
tradition, but I would never want to see it govern anyone. It's a personal
thing, not something to use against people.

But that's okay, you must be very happy now.

Now why would I be happy? You must be happy for 'exposing' me. Well,
aren't you?

No, that wasn't my intention at all. You simply don't sound like a very happy
person. It was sarcastic.

I'm not happy at all with the outcome of the election, because there
wasn't anyone to vote for. I voted against Kerry and would do it
again in a heartbeat.

Once again, as I've said many times, hopefully next time around there
will be someone worth voting for.

So you voted for the guy who is against science because we are all embryo's at
one time or another? Embryo's which are going to be discarded anyway. You
voted for a religious fanatic who is going to possibly appoint the next set of
lifetime Supreme Court Justice symbols and you voted for a man who thinks we are
on a crusade. Oh good. I'd prefer not to vote in that case. I did vote for
Kerry and would vote for him again in a heartbeat. At least he didn't use buzz
words in order to sell out and gather his religious right.

Doug Kanter 16-11-2004 01:34 PM

"escape" wrote in message

...and today I was in the truck and heard some of Hannity's show and he

and the
former Bush campaign muckity muck was praising god and "the lord" with

Hannity
that Bush won. Yay.

Just for grins, I'm gonna behave like one of the Bush Borg. Ready?

"Got a link that proves what was really said on Hannity's show?"

ROFL!!!!!

escape 16-11-2004 04:23 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:34:11 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
opined:

"escape" wrote in message
.. .

...and today I was in the truck and heard some of Hannity's show and he

and the
former Bush campaign muckity muck was praising god and "the lord" with

Hannity
that Bush won. Yay.

Just for grins, I'm gonna behave like one of the Bush Borg. Ready?

"Got a link that proves what was really said on Hannity's show?"

ROFL!!!!!

And like a good liberal democrat, no, I don't have the need to prove it! LOLWY!

Larry Blanchard 16-11-2004 05:21 PM

In article ,
says...

Oh, I hope not. We've got to break the Republican/Democrat logjam
somehow.

The solution is simple - but it'll never get implemented. Put the name
of every registered voter in a hat (OK, a computer). 3 months before
the election start pulling names until you get 3 people willing to run
(for each office). 2 months before the election they get free TV time
on a weekly basis to expound their phiosophy of government. Negative
campaigning is considered grounds for disqualification.

No big contributors, no organized parties, no career politicians.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

[email protected] 16-11-2004 05:24 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:57:19 -0800, "gregpresley"
wrote:

Not that anyone cares at this point in the thread, but it's clear that there
were 5 main groups voting strongly for Bush. People who earn more than
$200,000, people who believe that the only real business of government is
defense/(offence), people who think that sticking to one point of view (no
matter how discredited) is more indicative of leadership than flexibility
is, people who live in small towns with perhaps less access to a variety of
news sources, and people who are religious conservatives. There are some
overlaps between these groups, notably the religious conservatives and small
town groups.
What can be said unequivocably is that Bush could not have won this election
without the religious conservative vote. Just subtract their numbers
(20,000,000 or so) and you get a Kerry over Bush victory 56,000,000 to
39,000,000. So on issues which could be argued on a rational basis, you have
a significant, but smaller group of Republicans. Even though I disagree with
those voters, at least we could argue political philosophy, numbers,
motives, cost/benefit, etc. Once you get into the realm of which candidate
truly believes "Jesus Christ is my personal Savior", and how you would prove
that, you've lost the ability to have a rational political discussion.

A Christian is by definition someone who believes that Jesus Christ is
their savior. Are you saying that Christians can't be reasoned with,
that they can't understand complex topics? Are Christians irrational?

It sure does sound like you're a religious bigot, though that seems to
be a politically correct form of bigotry these days. Shouldn't people
vote based on their personal beliefs?

Swyck

[email protected] 16-11-2004 05:35 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:33:42 GMT, escape
wrote:
I didn't mention the word conservative. I was expressing my aghast at how this
country is turning into a religious state where masses of people are swaying
politics because of their god. That scares me.

And before you go into another one of your anti-religion rants,
remember who you're talking to.
http://www.pantheism.net/paul/index.htm In case you don't understand
my point, you quite frequently put people into neat categories. Many
people do. It's amazing to me how many claim they don't when caught.

I didn't have time or desire to read the website, but I don't think religion has
any place in politics or government. No place at all. That is not the same
thing as anti-religion ranting. I am a very active practitioner in my
tradition, but I would never want to see it govern anyone. It's a personal
thing, not something to use against people.

You are an ignorant bigot. Its fine for you to vote for what you
think is right, but not for religious people. For your information
religion has always been influential in politics in this country.

Swyck

Doug Kanter 16-11-2004 05:54 PM

wrote:

[...]

Some people don't know where to draw the line, and THAT'S the problem.
Hey...spend a week on google and try to find some examples IN THE UNITED
STATES of Jews electing a slew of public officials because they think
everyone should observe THEIR religious practices. See...some religions
have a missionary tradition. You know what THAT means: Stick your nose in
everybody else's business. These sects got away with destroying entire
civilizations. Nowadays, they'd never get away with it, so they're trying to
flex their muscles by voting.

There's nothing wrong with having one's own beliefs. It's a whole different
story when you try and impose them on others.

paghat 16-11-2004 06:17 PM

In article , "gregpresley"
wrote:

[...]
But as I wrote to my Republican brother recently, the Democrats faced
internal disunity for over 100 years between the northern Democrats and the
southern Democrats. The northerns were anti-slavery, the southerns pro, the
northerns willing to assist the implementation of Amendments XIII and XIV,
the southerns to obstruct them, the northerns to pass civil rights
legislation in the 50's and 60's, the southerns to obstruct them, the
northerns to encourage scientific knowledge and debate, the southerns to
vote on public officials depending on their stand on evolution.
Now the Republicans have "inherited" the south, and with that
inheritance come a lot of problematical issues and potential divisions down
the road. Barry Goldwater spent the last years of his life warning his
fellow Republicans that there would be tremendous trouble in store for them
if they allowed the Christian right to become dominant in their party, and I
would say that we've arrived at that point.

Excellent comment.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

paghat 16-11-2004 06:31 PM

wrote:

[...]

Faith is by its nature unreasoned. If you found a rational basis for
faith, it would no longer be faith. Our nation's single greatest strength
rests on the separation of Church & State -- on the capacity to rule
rationally, which in the current administration has been forfeited.

It sure does sound like you're a religious bigot, though that seems to
be a politically correct form of bigotry these days. Shouldn't people
vote based on their personal beliefs?

It would be far better if people voted on the basis of knowledge. You may
BELIEVE the devil is god so that when you vote for god you thereby get the
devil. If you become better informed you'll make an informed decision. You
could certainly still vote for the devil if you prefer him, but why be
misled about it? To me it seems that YOUR idea that a christian believer
cannot make a rational informed choice, but must rely on BELIEF, paints a
picture of christians I'm thus-far unwilling to believe is typical of
christians. But a bigot might really like what you wrote here, as it would
reinforce their bigotry as a case in point.

Now if you'd tried that ignorant stunt on me I could've understood it
because I growl when I speak. You'd be wrong, but when yelled at people do
tend to yell back, so it would be understandable. But it wasn't pugilistic
paghat you addressed this nonsense to. Greg was so gentle, generous, &
intelligent in his concise assessment, yet you immediately start screaming
Bigot! at him. That reflects wholly on you.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com

paghat 16-11-2004 07:12 PM

wrote:
[...]

You make religious people sound like morons. But as escape & greg are by
no stretch of the imagination bigots, I'm sure neither will draw the
conclusion that christians are morons merely because of one pitifully
hate-filled sod who angrilly pretends to worship a god of love.

Most of us hang out with christians a great deal even if we're not
christians. So we well know you represent only a crazy-ass fringe & not
the real deal. If anyone thought you personally represented christianity,
THEN we'd be bigots.

As someone who has for many years studied comparative religion, whose
personal library includes everything from the Babylonian Talmud to the
Zohar and Targums and Midrash Rabbah, to the Upanishads to the the Devi
Mahatmya to Kojiki: The Record of Ancient Matters, to the complete works
of the AnteNicene fathers, five translations of the Bible, the Ng Hammadi
texts & every conceivable scrap of Pseudepigrapha, to the Koran and the
complete works of Rumi, ad infitum, & having read this entire library more
than one time through, I can say that my interest in religion goes as deep
or deeper than yours. Good chance I even know more about your faith than
do you, unless you too have Tertullian and Clement of Alexandria within
arm's reach. And I know this: At the mystic end of all religions there is
common ground, there is poetic philosophy, & there is wisdom devoid of
divisive hatred. You've only gotten as far as the divisive, damaging,
hate-justifying part of what it means to be relgious. I may not see in you
the capacity to ever become spiritual, but who knows, maybe you'll have
more than one life to work it through, & you'll become a credit to your
faith to everyone's great amaze.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Doug Kanter 16-11-2004 09:56 PM

"gregpresley" wrote in message

wrote in message motives, cost/benefit, etc. Once

you
get into the realm of which candidate
truly believes "Jesus Christ is my personal Savior", and how you would

prove
that, you've lost the ability to have a rational political discussion.

A Christian is by definition someone who believes that Jesus Christ is
their savior. Are you saying that Christians can't be reasoned with,
that they can't understand complex topics? Are Christians irrational?

It sure does sound like you're a religious bigot, though that seems to
be a politically correct form of bigotry these days. Shouldn't people
vote based on their personal beliefs?

Swyck

First of all, I consider myself Christian, so I don't look in the mirror
every morning and say "gosh, what an irrational creature you are".....LOL
But belief is private and acceptance of fine points of dogma, an

individual
matter - not a matter for politics. . Over 2/3rds of the world's

Christians
(Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians) believe that the defnition of
Christian is "follower of Christ" - embedded in that definition is, of
course, a belief that Jesus is the Savior, but also strong in that

tradition
is the answer to the biblical question, "how will you know they are
Christians? You will know they are Christians by their love". In that
tradition of Christianity, people are not going to accept a statement of

"I
have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior" from a public official

(or
from any individual) for that matter, as being significant. They are going
to look for the acts, or the works, if you will, which translate belief

into
action. And those acts, if a person has digested the new Testament, will
necessarily have to be fully living out the Beatitudes and similar
suggestions of Jesus on how to live a holy life. From a public policy
perspective, I have no interest in a politician's political beliefs, but

if
he/she consistently votes in favor of policies that ease the lives of the
poor and downtrodden, whether for school lunch programs, or making sure

that
children have shelter, on in international policies, if he/she votes for
sustained diplomacy for peace-making efforts above war, I have all the
"moral-values" information I need on that candidate - who could be
Christian, Jew, Moslem, Hindu, Buddhist , or atheist for all that I care.

How do you deal with the business about the end of the world, when
unfortunate Jews, Buddhists, etc will be toast because they don't believe in
Jesus?

escape 16-11-2004 09:57 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:24:31 -0500, opined:

A Christian is by definition someone who believes that Jesus Christ is
their savior. Are you saying that Christians can't be reasoned with,
that they can't understand complex topics? Are Christians irrational?

It sure does sound like you're a religious bigot, though that seems to
be a politically correct form of bigotry these days. Shouldn't people
vote based on their personal beliefs?

Swyck

A Christian is not JUST someone who accepts Christ as their savior. They also
believe God created the heavens and earth, things possible and impossible.
Christians do not believe in evolution, as they are guided by the bible, who is
written by God and interpreted by man.

Yes, Christians can be reasoned with, but when it comes to things of science,
no, they cannot.

escape 16-11-2004 10:00 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:35:52 -0500, opined:

You are an ignorant bigot. Its fine for you to vote for what you
think is right, but not for religious people. For your information
religion has always been influential in politics in this country.

Swyck

Yeah, that's the new teachings, ain't it. I am not ignorant nor am I a bigot of
any sort. You calling me a bigot is pretty funny, though.

[email protected] 16-11-2004 10:13 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:28:13 -0800, "gregpresley"
wrote:
[...]

Well said, and that's how it should be. You vote for those that are
applying and acting on your beliefs, as well as they can.

My contention was with your statement that you cannot have a rational
discussion with someone who considers "Jesus Christ as their savior."
Though I don't agree with their point of view, and don't follow it, I
also don't believe that the people making those distinctions when
voting are being unreasonable. There are many people that vote
entirely on the basis of Roe-Wade, the environment, the economy, how
the candidate looks or some other single issue. The politician they
are supporting may just be a vote grubber that will promise anything
to get elected. How is that any different or better?

I'd like to see your analysis of Kerry's voting groups for comparison.

Swyck

Doug Kanter 16-11-2004 10:21 PM

"gregpresley" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" How do you deal with the business about the end of the
world, when
unfortunate Jews, Buddhists, etc will be toast because they don't

believe
in
Jesus?

I don't concern myself with judgment day. The bible has many specific
injunction against doing that, most of which have been ignored by

Christians
of all denominations ever since. As a matter of fact, I'm personally more
interested in how I can make the world a better place while I'm alive than
what's going to happen to me after death. I would be astounded if God were
as "judgmental" as a lot of folks think he ought to be - (of course,

always
assuming that they themselves will be among the elect, and those they

don't
like will be hell-bound). But that point of view is not going to be heard
from any Christian pulpit anytime soon, I don't expect......LOL

You might get a kick out of the movie "Dogma", especially when god appears
at the end. :-) Great movie.

Ann 16-11-2004 10:43 PM

escape expounded:

I didn't have time or desire to read the website, but I don't think religion has
any place in politics or government. No place at all.

You did read the website once, Victoria, when we were exchanging our
view. And I didn't say that religion had a place in politics, if you
actually read and comprehended what other people say (especially those
with differing views than you) you would have known that. But you are
so busy firing off at 'conservatives' you no longer comprehend what
they are saying.

As for this snipe:

No, that wasn't my intention at all. You simply don't sound like a very happy
person. It was sarcastic.

You have no idea of my state of mind, and actually couldn't be further
from the truth. You, my dear, are the one who is perennially unhappy.
Bitter, too. I've been around here for a long time, Victoria, I
remember nice exchanges with you, and I remember when you were the one
many of us were defending. That's been gone a long time.....

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

paghat 16-11-2004 10:54 PM

In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

[...]

That was a cool movie, & God was hot.

On the opposite extreme from that lovely comedy is the first Prophesy
movie, in which Christopher Walken plays the archangel Gabriel, to whom
God will no longer speak, & who has become the evil urge of god much more
menacing than Lucifer who only wants to tempt us but Gabriel is out to
destroy all the ugly mud-monkeys, who are us, believing as he does that if
he can destroy everything God loves, God will love him instead. The two
sequels aren't bad but don't stand up to the original which has a creepy
believability, since this wacked out Gabriel so greatly resembles many
fundamentalists who likewise believe the way back to God is by hating &
destroying things.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

[email protected] 17-11-2004 12:23 AM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:57:42 GMT, escape
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:24:31 -0500, opined:

A Christian is by definition someone who believes that Jesus Christ is
their savior. Are you saying that Christians can't be reasoned with,
that they can't understand complex topics? Are Christians irrational?

It sure does sound like you're a religious bigot, though that seems to
be a politically correct form of bigotry these days. Shouldn't people
vote based on their personal beliefs?

Swyck

A Christian is not JUST someone who accepts Christ as their savior. They also
believe God created the heavens and earth, things possible and impossible.
Christians do not believe in evolution, as they are guided by the bible, who is
written by God and interpreted by man.

I know that many Christians believe in evolution, though there are
some that do not.

Yes, Christians can be reasoned with, but when it comes to things of science,
no, they cannot.

Yet there have been plenty of scientists that were Christians, some of
them deeply religious. I'm sure we could discuss science with them.
Again it comes down to what kind of Christians we're talking about.

How many fundamentalists are there that are really unwilling to listen
to other points of view? Listening is not the same thing as being
convinced or converted. Are there really 20 million of them, and is
that number really higher then other blocks of unreasonable people?

Swyck

escape 17-11-2004 01:24 AM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:43:46 -0500, Ann opined:

escape expounded:

[...]

In the case you haven't noticed, I don't have many bad words with anyone here.
That's why you don't come to my defense any more. I no longer get into the shit
flinging, but this particular subject was something I was a bit interested in.
My country has been hijacked in the name of Christ and republicans. Our
president is not a true republican, or Christian. He's a dummard. Everyone is
flying the coop. Oh well.

Ann 17-11-2004 01:32 AM

expounded:

Listening is not the same thing as being
convinced or converted.

Yes, more listening and less converting is what we all need.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Larry Blanchard 17-11-2004 04:21 AM

In article , get-
says...
Christians do not believe in evolution, as they are guided by the bible, who is
written by God and interpreted by man.

Well, we know what end of the "Christian" spectrum you're on :-).

And apparently you're not guided by grammar either - "the bible, who is"
- really!

Lee 17-11-2004 05:06 AM

"gregpresley" wrote in message ...

I don't concern myself with judgment day. The bible has many specific
injunction against doing that, most of which have been ignored by Christians
of all denominations ever since. As a matter of fact, I'm personally more
interested in how I can make the world a better place while I'm alive than
what's going to happen to me after death. I would be astounded if God were
as "judgmental" as a lot of folks think he ought to be - (of course, always
assuming that they themselves will be among the elect, and those they don't
like will be hell-bound). But that point of view is not going to be heard
from any Christian pulpit anytime soon, I don't expect......LOL

Here is poem I like and don't know who wrote it. Don't even know it's
name. I've had it for years and never know where it is, but It seems
to surface about the time I get really smug and self-rightious !!! It
seems to know when I need it!

I dreamed death came the other night
And Heaven's gate swung wide:
With kindly grace an Angel
Ushered me inside.
And there---to my astonishment---
Stood folks I'd known on earth:
Some I had judged and labeled as
Unfit or little worth.

Indignent words rose to my lips
But never were set free-----
For every face showed stunned surprise---

NO ONE EXPECTED ME !!!!

leo/lee

escape 17-11-2004 01:38 PM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:21:23 -0800, Larry Blanchard
opined:

In article , get-
says...
Christians do not believe in evolution, as they are guided by the bible, who is
written by God and interpreted by man.

Well, we know what end of the "Christian" spectrum you're on :-).

And apparently you're not guided by grammar either - "the bible, who is"
- really!

Sorry about the grammatical error. I'm not on any Christian spectrum at all. I
have absolutely no belief in a creator at all. Not on any level.

Doug Kanter 17-11-2004 02:06 PM

"escape" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:23:28 -0500, opined:

I know that many Christians believe in evolution, though there are
some that do not.

A person who believes in evolution cannot call themselves a Christian.

Christ
is not the only thing which mandates firm belief in him. God mandates in

the
bible that he created all. No pastor, priest, reverend or preacher in
Christianity believes in evolution.

Two weeks back, PBS aired a Nova show which showed how scientists are
piecing together the beginnings of quadrupeds, starting with certain types
of fish, and tracking the increments by which a fish finally left the water
and walked on land. Assuming several million Christians watched this show,
how do you suppose they felt about it? Did they consider it to be in the
same category as Star Trek?

Cereus-validus... 17-11-2004 02:31 PM

Its been said if Jesus was alive today he would be a big fan of both Nova
and Star Trek.

He definitely would have been a big Kerry supporter too!

He probably wouldn't be a big fan of Desperate Housewives though.

Dubya claims to speak directly to God but his son (God's not Dubya's) says
he's really been in cahoots with that other guy.

Anonny Moose 17-11-2004 03:34 PM

"escape" wrote in message
It's unreasonable for people to elect a man who is grossly incompetent
merely
because he says praise god, and uses terms like "The Lord." The man will
go
down as being one of, if not THE worst president in American history.
People
elected him based on something which scares me. The future is dim, in my
opinion. It has absolutely nothing to do with Christians.

Everyone thinks of W as a religious man, but I've yet to find any reference
to him actually talking about his religious beliefs. Can anyone point out an
instance when he has stated specifics? Thanks.

Karen

Doug Kanter 17-11-2004 04:44 PM

"Anonny Moose" wrote in message

"escape" wrote in message
It's unreasonable for people to elect a man who is grossly incompetent
merely
because he says praise god, and uses terms like "The Lord." The man

will
go
down as being one of, if not THE worst president in American history.
People
elected him based on something which scares me. The future is dim, in

my
opinion. It has absolutely nothing to do with Christians.

Everyone thinks of W as a religious man, but I've yet to find any

reference
to him actually talking about his religious beliefs. Can anyone point out

an
instance when he has stated specifics? Thanks.

Karen

I cannot provide examples. However, I can offer a suggestion from an
acquaintance who shall remain unnamed and undescribed, for security
purposes: Perhaps if everyone send W a box of pretzels, one of the snacks
will eventually have the desired effect.

paghat 17-11-2004 05:08 PM

In article ,
"Cereus-validus..." wrote:

Its been said if Jesus was alive today he would be a big fan of both Nova
and Star Trek.

But he would've been totally creeped out by Joan of Arcadia and Touched By
An Angel.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Roger Pearse 17-11-2004 05:12 PM

(paghat) wrote in message ...
As someone who has for many years studied comparative religion, whose
personal library includes everything from the Babylonian Talmud to the
Zohar and Targums and Midrash Rabbah, to the Upanishads to the the Devi
Mahatmya to Kojiki: The Record of Ancient Matters, to the complete works
of the AnteNicene fathers, five translations of the Bible, the Ng Hammadi
texts & every conceivable scrap of Pseudepigrapha, to the Koran and the
complete works of Rumi, ad infitum, & having read this entire library more
than one time through, I can say that my interest in religion goes as deep
or deeper than yours. Good chance I even know more about your faith than
do you, unless you too have Tertullian and Clement of Alexandria within
arm's reach.

I'm afraid that this claim to authority must be disallowed by any
reasonable person. You are not an authority on a religion of which
you are not a member.

As someone rather seriously interested in patristics
(http://www.tertullian.org/fathers), I was nevertheless unable to
follow your comment about Tertullian and Clement. Nor would either
have agreed with you here.

And I know this: At the mystic end of all religions there is
common ground, there is poetic philosophy, & there is wisdom devoid of
divisive hatred. You've only gotten as far as the divisive, damaging,
hate-justifying part of what it means to be relgious. I may not see in you
the capacity to ever become spiritual, but who knows, maybe you'll have
more than one life to work it through, & you'll become a credit to your
faith to everyone's great amaze.

You did not find this low-grade syncretism in any of the fathers,
however. Nor can this position be rationally justified, as far as I
can tell.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

paghat 17-11-2004 06:15 PM

In article , "Anonny Moose"
wrote:

"escape" wrote in message
It's unreasonable for people to elect a man who is grossly incompetent
merely
because he says praise god, and uses terms like "The Lord." The man will
go
down as being one of, if not THE worst president in American history.
People
elected him based on something which scares me. The future is dim, in my
opinion. It has absolutely nothing to do with Christians.

Everyone thinks of W as a religious man, but I've yet to find any reference
to him actually talking about his religious beliefs. Can anyone point out an
instance when he has stated specifics? Thanks.

Karen

For an understanding of how Bush applies religion to goverment policy, I
recommend Jim Wallis's article on Bush's Theology of Empi
http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=magazine.article&issue=soj0309&ar ticle=030910
This is a Christian take on why Christians should respect the separation
of church & state, & the harm Bush does by destroying this separation.

He is his own religion. Real quote:

"God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them, and then he
instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did." [said to Palestinian
Authority Prime Minister Abu Mazen]

Less loony if only he could've maintained a separation of church & state:

"Reverend Graham planted a mustard seed in my soul, a seed that grew over
the next year. He led me to the path, and I began walking. It was the
beginning of a change in my life.I had always been a "religious" person,
had regularly attended church, even taught Sunday School and served as an
altar boy. But that weekend my faith took on a new meaning. It was the
beginning of a new walk where I would commit my heart to Jesus Christ."
[from Bush's book A Charge To Keep, describing his born-again conversion
in 1985 which stopped him from being a full-time drunkard &, by all
evidence, part-time coke-head]

Of course, A Charge to Keep was ghost-written by campaign speech-writers,
& it is a trumped up biography posing as autobiography strictly for The
Selling of the President. Billy Graham had very little to do with his
deepening interest in religion. But by the mid-1980s Laura was sick of
seeing him constantly drunk, as he was borish, loud, & extremely vulgar, &
when Laura had the twins, she didn't think they should be permitted to
grow up around such a hard-core alcoholic. He had also been involved in a
series of shady business deals that had been very profitable for a while
but finally collapsed. He hung out with oil tycoons from the Skull & Bones
Society (honest to shit!) & in 1984 there was a "bust" period for these
rich ****ers. One of these rich ****ers was Don Evans. It was Evans, not
Billy Graham, who in his own life-crisis dragged his best friend George W.
to non-denominational bible studies in 1984/1985. Evans began to put up
barriers to keep Bush's drinking buddies at bay, surrounded Bush with
fellow Jesus freaks, & peer-pressured him into giving up smoking &
drinking (Bush may already have given up cocaine in the late 1970s; he
went AWOL while in the Guard & got his early discharge to avoid the new
policy of drug-testing). Due to Evans influence, & under threats from
Laura, George stopped drinking in summer of 1986, & by 1987 he was his
father's liason to the religious far-right drumming up support for his
dad. In 1999 he called to the Texas governor's mansion an assembly of
leading conservative preachers, & told them Jesus had called to him, like
Paul on the road to Damascus, to become president of the United States.

When Bush slipped & admitted early on that his war against the mid-east
was a "Crusade" he was being totally honest. His faith-based foreign
policy is in fact a Christian crusade against Islam. When you realize
that, all the irrationality of this war, & the baseless fabrications from
the White House to justify it, fall into place.

So I don't think anyone can doubt he's a christian, though certainly not
an very honest one. He has claimed that he studies a different bible
passage every morning before he brings Laura her cup of coffee. A charming
claim very calculated. But when an interviewer attempting to break the ice
in a nice way asked him what passage he had read that morning, Bush became
angry & gave a guarded interview, because he hadn't read any passages,
knows very little about what's in the bible because he does not read
ANYthing, let alone a bible passage every morning. What he gets every
morning is a summation of leading stories from national newspapers SPOKEN
to him. His mornings do often include the Presidental Prayer Breakfast
during which he subjects privileged reporters & dignitaries to his own
lame-ass sermons which are written for him by his speech-writers & would
make nice Hallmark Cards about peace & love, good & evil. One of his
morning sermons to his captive breakfasters was on the evils of slavery;
he's so up-to-date. The evil of telling lies in order to start wars that
kill thousands he has apparently never had a sermon about.

Unlike, say, Ronald Reagan who only pretended to have religion, Bush
always had it. He was dragged to Episcopalian churches as a kid, & after
his marriage he converted to Laura's Methodist faith & attended Methodist
meetings with her even while still a persistant drunk. He even taught
Sunday School before heading out to another drunken binge.

He makes regular phone calls to conservative preachers before making
political decisions. WHen he comes up with crazy plans like turning social
welfare over to churches in his church-delivered welfare policy, that came
from no secular source, that was from jabbering on the phone with
preachers who are making whatever policies his oil-buddies haven't already
made.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

paghat 17-11-2004 06:23 PM

In article ,
(Roger Pearse) wrote:

(paghat) wrote in message
[...]

A devottee of a single Christian sect remains so by being blind to &
rejecting the full range of belief. I do not claim to be an authority,
though, just have a deeper interest than dunderheads who blame their
prejudices & sillier observations on their religion, when they obviously
learned only enough about faith to justify hating whatever they already
hated.

IntarsiaCo 17-11-2004 06:36 PM

Real quote:

Wrong again:

This is Abu Mazen's account in Arabic of what Bush said in English, written
down by a note-taker in Arabic, then back into English.

escape 17-11-2004 07:02 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:06:17 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
opined:

Two weeks back, PBS aired a Nova show which showed how scientists are
piecing together the beginnings of quadrupeds, starting with certain types
of fish, and tracking the increments by which a fish finally left the water
and walked on land. Assuming several million Christians watched this show,
how do you suppose they felt about it? Did they consider it to be in the
same category as Star Trek?

I saw the show and it was wonderful. I was thinking about your question as I
was watching it, funny enough. I have no idea what a Christian would think
about it. I don't know how they can deny evolution, theory or not. My
problem is not with Christians believing in creation, but when it comes to the
man running the US, it matters to me.

escape 17-11-2004 07:10 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:34:43 -0800, "Anonny Moose"
opined:

"escape" wrote in message
.. .
It's unreasonable for people to elect a man who is grossly incompetent
merely
because he says praise god, and uses terms like "The Lord." The man will
go
down as being one of, if not THE worst president in American history.
People
elected him based on something which scares me. The future is dim, in my
opinion. It has absolutely nothing to do with Christians.

Everyone thinks of W as a religious man, but I've yet to find any reference
to him actually talking about his religious beliefs. Can anyone point out an
instance when he has stated specifics? Thanks.

Karen

A brief search:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Sep15.html

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-3-2003_pg7_56

http://cleveland.indymedia.org/news/2004/11/13213.php

escape 17-11-2004 07:11 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:52:36 GMT, Janet Baraclough..
opined:

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:24:31 -0500, opined:

Christians do not believe in evolution, as they are guided by the
bible, who is
written by God and interpreted by man.

God did not write the Bible, men did. Then other men interpreted what
men had written.

Janet.

Hmm, really? I guess you never read the new testament.

escape 17-11-2004 07:13 PM

On 17 Nov 2004 18:36:29 GMT, (IntarsiaCo) opined:

Real quote:

Wrong again:

This is Abu Mazen's account in Arabic of what Bush said in English, written
down by a note-taker in Arabic, then back into English.

Regardless, I heard the man say God spoke to him and told him he was supposed to
be president. He said this when he was the governor of my state of TX.