Old 16-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Mark Anderson

Default Harvesting MG Seed Question

I've been cleaning up the rooftop garden clearing out all the dying
plants and preparing the soil in containers for planting wildflower seed
later this fall after the ground freezes. It still has been relatively
warm here in Zone 5 Chicago.

This year I grew a lot of morning glories that grew over a system of
trellises I built early last Spring. I want to harvest the seed to plant
in other areas but many of the morning glories vines are still alive and
the seed pods, although closed, are still green and it appears the seeds
are still forming inside. Is it OK to just harvest these green pods and
place them in a coffee can and let them dry out? Will the seeds form if
they get separated from the mother vine? I'd really like to clean out
the vines if possible. The problem I see with waiting until the seeds
form in the pods is that there is a small window of opportunity to
harvest before the pods break open and the seeds blow away. It would be
very convenient if I could harvest all the seed pods all at once and be
done with it. Does anyone have insight on this?

Old 16-11-2004, 07:57 PM
starlord

A wayward dirt biker ran headlong into my small MG wall,( a wire sention
help up by poles ) and tore the plants out. I put all the plants into a
rubbmain tub and let dry. The seed pods that where close to being rip did
turn brown and dry out and have good seeds. The green pods never fully
turned rip and as a test, their seeds floated, which is not a good sign. If
you can at lest wait until the first good frost hits, then you'll have lots
of seeds, otherwise all you can do is like what I'm doing, I have one MG
vine out on a wall that went to seed real late, and everyday I go out and
find pods ready and pick them leaving the green ones to ripen.

Morning Glory List Operator.

--

The Forgotten
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/forgotten.htm

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

---

Old 20-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:31:25 -0600, Mark Anderson
wrote:

This year I grew a lot of morning glories that grew over a system of
trellises I built early last Spring. I want to harvest the seed to plant
in other areas but many of the morning glories vines are still alive and
the seed pods, although closed, are still green and it appears the seeds
are still forming inside. Is it OK to just harvest these green pods and
place them in a coffee can and let them dry out?

The best time to harvest seeds is when they're fully mature and ready
to drop/fly away on their own. At that time, they've gathered all they
need from the plant (food, money, George Foreman grill) and are
prepared to set out on their own (except for phone calls for more
money).

Will the seeds form if
they get separated from the mother vine?

Some probably will.

The problem I see with waiting until the seeds
form in the pods is that there is a small window of opportunity to
harvest before the pods break open and the seeds blow away. It would be
very convenient if I could harvest all the seed pods all at once and be
done with it. Does anyone have insight on this?

Life would be much easier if everything happened at "convenient"
times. In my experience, this seldom occurs. It would be convenient if
daffodil foliage died back immediately after the blooms were done,
instead of becoming gradually rattier-looking for weeks. Assuming your
morning glories have been blooming all along, there should be plenty
of seed pods of sufficient maturity now. If you clean up the vines,
you'll probably find hundreds of seeds ready to disperse. Save those.