Old 22-11-2004, 06:31 AM
Radio Free America

Default Compost in denver?

Where's the best place in Denver to buy the lowest cost organic compost for
the yard, by the dump truck load?

And someone to till it into our yard?

What's usually cheapest and best? Mushroom compost? Cow manure?

Old 23-11-2004, 07:32 AM
GraveDiggirl

Radio Free America wrote in message .13...
Where's the best place in Denver to buy the lowest cost organic compost for
the yard, by the dump truck load?

And someone to till it into our yard?

What's usually cheapest and best? Mushroom compost? Cow manure?

I prefer Pioneer Sand and Gravel. They have several compost mixes to
choose from. I wouldn't use manure. It has too high a risk of burning
the sod. They will probably be anywhere from $20 to $30 a cubic yard
and charge a $50-$55 delivery. Every little landscaping company in
town is desperate for work right now and you shouldn't have any
problem finding somebody to do it for you at a reasonable price
I prefer pioneer's biocomp mix, It is good stuff
Old 23-11-2004, 08:15 PM
paghat

(GraveDiggirl) wrote :

Radio Free America wrote in message
.13...
Where's the best place in Denver to buy the lowest cost organic compost
for the yard, by the dump truck load?

And someone to till it into our yard?

What's usually cheapest and best? Mushroom compost? Cow manure?

Many municipalities provide free compost from the city compost project, to
residents who already pay for garbage pick-up. Its composted from all the
garden clippings the garbage company picks up periodically along their
routes, & all the woodchips & mowings from county roadside & park
maintance. Just call your garbage pick-up people & ask when it can be
picked up & where. Though the clippings come from everyone's yards not all
organic, municiple composting methods are generally organic & result in a
high quality compost devoid of dubious bulking agents & fillers in so many
commercial composts.

The zoo may have a Zoo Doo program, too. It's usually inexpensive, is
organic, & the money goes to support the zoo. And I like the idea that
there's elephant & kangaroo poo in the garden.

Cheapest commercial compost tends to be steer manure, which is good stuff
when fully composted.

Sometimes farms allows gardeners to get free poo in the
you-shovel-it/you-compost-it category. I get free llama poo this way, &
its even mild enough to use uncomposted or partially composted, as are
rabbit raisins, though in general poos really should be composted before
use.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: