Old 03-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Jim Carlock

Default Squash problem? And unknown plants...

1) I think this is a squash type of plant on a vine. It has a good
sized flower, about 3 inches across.

2) The leaves have are spotted and look eaten. What might
be causing this? I don't see anything on the bottom of the
leaves.

File size: 236 KB (241,756 bytes)
Image size: 640 x 480
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images...sh/squash1.gif

3) There are 4 of these growing in a small 6" top diameter
clay pot. They have a lemony smell or citric smell, but that
might be because there are some tangerine seeds nearby.
The smell seems to go with it, so I might have planted some
tangerine seeds but I can't seem to find what a 4" to 5" high
tangerine plant appears as. The picture below shows the
plants in question. They look like they might be too big for
that pot already...

File size: 77.0 KB (78,895 bytes)
Image size: 800 x 600
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images...n/unkn4097.jpg

File size: 110 KB (112,943 bytes)
Image size: 1280 x 574
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/images...n/unkn4098.jpg

Thanks much for any comments and/or help.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:59 AM
Pam - gardengal

First off, the seedlings are baby tomatoes! Congratulations, dad!! As to the
squash - the leaves are prety badly mauled, leading me to believe there has
been mechanical damage to them - wind, dogs, agreesive weeding practices -
looks like more than just an insect, although slugs and snails can do such
damage. Most insects which cause such damage will be more or less nocturnal,
so try checking just before nightfall. The light colored spotting looks like
the beginning of fungal problems, perhaps rust, perhaps downey mildew - hard
to tell with just a photo. Where are you that squash is still growing in
December?

pam - gardengal

. ..

Old 04-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Jim Carlock

Thanks Pam.

I'm in Tampabay, FL. The temps are hitting about 50 Celcius
at night. I'm thinking what I labeled as squash might be a
watermelon or pumpkin.

Tomato plants? Woohoo! They look pretty darn good! I
think you are right. g That pot is way too small. They
look pretty cozy and happy right now in that clay pot.

Time to start looking up rust and downy mildew and
maybe find a cure. Thanks!

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to newsgroup.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Jim Carlock said:

1) I think this is a squash type of plant on a vine. It has a good
sized flower, about 3 inches across.

Yep, squash...the enormous size of the flower in relation to the leaves
is pretty distinctive. (Pumpkins are just a name given to certain types
of squash.) That's a male flower in the picture.

2) The leaves have are spotted and look eaten. What might
be causing this? I don't see anything on the bottom of the
leaves.

It looks to me that something damaged the leaves (probably when they
were smaller). I'd suspect cucumber beetles, but it could have been
weather, animals, or slugs. Cucumber beetles and slugs are most active
at night and hide during the day. The beetles will usually hunker down in
the leaf buds, flowers, in the ground just under the vines and can go
unnoticed for quite a while before the population builds.

The spots look like a fungal disease, possibly downy mildew. (Check the
bottoms of the leaves; with downy mildew there will be a grayish moldy
spot corresponding to the yellowish spots on the top.) Descriptions of
various diseases of Cucurbits he

http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texla...upe/cants.html
http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/texla...lon/wmelon.htm

3) There are 4 of these growing in a small 6" top diameter
clay pot. They have a lemony smell or citric smell, but that
might be because there are some tangerine seeds nearby.
The smell seems to go with it, so I might have planted some
tangerine seeds but I can't seem to find what a 4" to 5" high
tangerine plant appears as. The picture below shows the
plants in question. They look like they might be too big for
that pot already...

Tomato plants, and yes, they'd like to be transplanted or potted
up or thinned at least.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 10-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Jim Marrs

Yep ,

Thats a squash. Looks like flea bettle and/or spider mite damage to me.
Jem