Old 20-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Fred

Default palm tree

I'm looking for a palm type tree that will survive through the winter
in zone 6. I live in NJ just on the south edge of zone 6, zone 7 is
right near us.

Old 20-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Ricky

"Fred" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a palm type tree that will survive through the winter
in zone 6. I live in NJ just on the south edge of zone 6, zone 7 is
right near us.

There's a Chinese Fan Palm (Livistonia chinensis) growing in the Brooklyn
Botanical Gardens. It's been there for many years and somehow it has
survived. Sabal Palms (Sabal palmetto) grow in North Carolina. You might
have a chance at those. Many of the Chamerops species are grown for
interiorscape use. And last but not least, There are Bottle Palms (Hyophorbe
lagenicaulis) growing in the AirLink train station by Newark Airport.

Good luck.

Old 20-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Fred

I checked the zones for all these plants, livintonia is for zone 9-11.
I wanted something that can be grown outside.

Old 20-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Bonnie Jean

"Fred" wrote in message
oups.com...
I checked the zones for all these plants, livintonia is for zone 9-11.
I wanted something that can be grown outside.

I think your only hope is plastic/silk.

Old 20-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Ricky

"Fred" wrote in message
oups.com...
I checked the zones for all these plants, livintonia is for zone 9-11.
I wanted something that can be grown outside.

Fred - the Livistonia in the BBG is outside. The Sabals in North Carolina
are outside.

Old 21-12-2004, 01:50 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Fred" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a palm type tree that will survive through the winter
in zone 6. I live in NJ just on the south edge of zone 6, zone 7 is
right near us.

A 5 second search on Google turned up this:

http://www.hardiestpalms.com/

Not so difficult, no?

pam - gardengal

Old 21-12-2004, 07:55 AM
gregpresley

"Ricky" wrote in message
"Fred" wrote in
There's a Chinese Fan Palm (Livistonia chinensis) growing in the Brooklyn
Botanical Gardens. It's been there for many years and somehow it has
survived. Sabal Palms (Sabal palmetto) grow in North Carolina. You might
have a chance at those.

I googled hardy palms at Brooklyn Botanical gardens, because this species
(livistonia chinensis) just struck me as wrong (ie, it dies in north
florida). The only hardy outdoor palm I can find listed for BBG is
Rhapidophylum hystrix - the needle palm native to southeast US. There are
apparently 10 specimens of this living at BBG outdoors.
Other potential palms for very protected sites in zone 6-7 might be the
windmill palm and the palmetto.

Old 21-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Ricky

"gregpresley" wrote in message

"Ricky" wrote in message
"Fred" wrote in
There's a Chinese Fan Palm (Livistonia chinensis) growing in the

Brooklyn
Botanical Gardens. It's been there for many years and somehow it has
survived. Sabal Palms (Sabal palmetto) grow in North Carolina. You might
have a chance at those.

I googled hardy palms at Brooklyn Botanical gardens, because this species
(livistonia chinensis) just struck me as wrong (ie, it dies in north
florida). The only hardy outdoor palm I can find listed for BBG is
Rhapidophylum hystrix - the needle palm native to southeast US. There are
apparently 10 specimens of this living at BBG outdoors.
Other potential palms for very protected sites in zone 6-7 might be the
windmill palm and the palmetto.

I've been to the BBG four times now and each time I make it a point to show
people the Chinese Fan Palm. Google doesn't know everything.

Old 22-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Sed5555

I'm looking for a palm type tree that will survive through the winter
in zone 6. I live in NJ just on the south edge of zone 6

There is a gentleman in Colorado Springs, CO that grows palms that are cold
hardy. His website has a lot of information on this as well as links to other
places where this palms have been grown successfully.
http://hometown.aol.com/fitzroya/myh...e/cooking.html
sed5555

[IMG] code is On

Palm Tree ID + little palm? mgunnill United Kingdom 6 15-06-2010 11:03 AM
Supply Sago Palm (Cycas revolute), Finger Palm (Rhapis ,Windmill palm (Trachycarpus garrytsen Marketplace 0 24-08-2005 01:11 AM
Dying Palm Tree Jeremy Lunn Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Palm tree fronds turning yellow. Frank Martin Plant Science 2 19-03-2003 08:56 PM
How long to keep Palm tree supports before removal??? Stu Gardening 1 25-02-2003 03:27 PM