Old 05-01-2005, 02:50 PM
svsmbbcs

Default how do I take cuttings?

I have managed to over winter some Agryathemums in the greenhouse and would
like to try and take some cuttings,do I cut the plant back as you do with
chrysanthemums and take basil cuttings or leave some top growth and then
take from fresh growth.
any advice please
Stan

Old 05-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Cereus-validus...

Make up your mind. Do you want to take basil cuttings or Argyranthemum
cuttings?

Propagate with extreme prejudice.

Propagate your Argyranthemum as you would plants from the genus from which
they came: Chrysanthemum.

Argyranthemum is the reinstated genus created for the shrubby "Marguerite
daisy" and its allies from the Canary islands and Madeira.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Timothy

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:50:01 +0000, svsmbbcs wrote:

I have managed to over winter some Agryathemums in the greenhouse and
would like to try and take some cuttings,do I cut the plant back as you do
with chrysanthemums and take basil cuttings or leave some top growth and
then take from fresh growth.
any advice please
Stan

Go and find some rootone or some other type of rooting hormone. Take
cutting with 3 or more leaf nodes. Remove at least one set of leaves. I
personally place all my cutting in a solution of 10-60-10 fertilizer and
soak them for a bit ( while I'm preparing the pots). Take the cuttings and
give them a shake to remove the excess water, dip them in rootone and put
them in their new pot. I use a pencil to make a hole in the soil so the
rootone dosen't get scraped off. Water them with the left over 10-60-10.

Your cutting will do far better if you can give them bottom heat. Imo,
heat is far more important for the first few weeks than lots of light. If
you can afford a propagation mat, that would be best. I use an old water
bed heater I pulled out of the trash ( what can I say... I'm cheap). I've
also have used a set of fluorescent shop lights, laided out on my potting
bench with the light side up. I then placed my pot rack on top of the
light. This seemed to be enough passive heat to help the rooting process.

Good luck.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 07-01-2005, 12:21 PM
svsmbbcs

Timothy wrote:
[...]

thanks for the advice will have a go. I have rooting powder and and 2
propogators so heat is not a problem.