Old 06-02-2005, 06:53 PM
MMoniker

Default Advice for replanting oak?

About eight years ago I had an old dead oak removed -- about a 100 foot
tall tree (broke my heart that it died). Now that the stump (which
wasn't ground) is pretty rotty (so I'm assuming the roots are too), I'm
considering having the stump remnants ground out and planting a pin oak
or something on the same spot. But I don't know if the new tree can
actually go in the same spot this soon and if so, do I need to do
anything special to prep the hole? Or, if I have to plant in another
spot, how far from the orignal must I go?

Also any good replacement red oak species anyone would like to
recommend are welcomed. I'm looking for something that gets pretty tall
over the years but which doesn't drop acorns every year (It's not that
I don't like the acorns and the wildlife that they bring in, it's just
I have plenty enough already!!!!)

Thanks!

MMoniker
USA, Pennsylvania, zone 5-6

Old 07-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoniker
About eight years ago I had an old dead oak removed -- I'm
considering having the stump remnants ground out and planting a pin oak
or something on the same spot.

MMoniker
USA, Pennsylvania, zone 5-6
grind the old stump ...and if you want to plant in the same spot...wait 12 months to allow the ground to settle....thats just my opinion

[IMG] code is On

Replanting Poinsettias in the garden ? (PNW) -L. Gardening 9 09-12-2003 04:42 PM
Harvesting corn kernels for replanting Tom Elliott Australia 1 19-04-2003 12:44 AM
replanting new roses? Jane Roses 7 16-04-2003 03:56 AM
replanting new roses?I"M BACK! Jane Roses 0 15-04-2003 04:08 AM
REPLANTING TREES alan kearn United Kingdom 4 10-03-2003 10:00 PM