Old 17-02-2005, 06:00 AM
Dave Smith

Default flowers and vines for around shed

I'm a total beginner when it comes to gardening so please excuse my
simple questions. It is february in washington state but home and garden
magazine has got me planning some small improvements for the back yard.
I should mention that I am on the eastern side of washington, the dry
side.

My first question is about improving the landscaping around my shed. I
have one of those inexpensive metal sheds that you see and although it
is newer and looks fine I would like to "soften" it's impact on the
backyard. I have two things in mind. One is to start growing some type
of vine up its sides and eventually over it. So I'm wondering:
1. What type of vine would grow quickly and survive washington winters?
2. What would I need to get it going up the shed? Some type of lattice?

Also, for the front of the shed I purchased two large planters that came
with a bush that did not survive the winter. Since then I have gotten a
dog who greatly enjoyed turning the planter over and emptying it out.
Sooo, the first thing I plan to do is put concrete or gravel in the
bottom of the planter so he cannot turn it over (while keeping the drain
holes clear). Then I will want to select a more appropriate plant/bush
to go in it. Preferably something that flowers. Suggestions?

Thanks for all the advice. i'll have a few more postings shortly.

Dave