Old 27-02-2005, 04:07 AM
ant

Default Stately gardens in the US?

My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous gardens
in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a
more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these
countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.

ant

Old 27-02-2005, 04:42 AM
JonquilJan

Just off hand, can think of Longwood Gardens near Philadelphia Pennsylvania
and Sonnenberg Gardens in Canandaguia New York. There is the lilac festival
in Rochester New York in the spring. There's also the Brooklyn Botanical
Gardens and the Bornx Botanical Gardens near the Bronx Zoo.

There are many, many more I'm sure.

Jan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Old 27-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Play4abuck

"ant" wrote in message
My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous

gardens
in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a
more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these
countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.

ant

This is not famous, but maybe worth your time if your in the area.

http://www.omahabotanicalgardens.org/

Omaha, NE

Cheers,
Jim

Old 27-02-2005, 08:26 AM
gregpresley

In Victoria British Columbia, the Buchart Gardens - in Mobile, Alabama,
Bellingrath Gardens - in Portland, Oregon, Rose Test Gardens and Japanese
Garden at the Washington Park Arboretum, Ohme Gardens (alpine flowers)
Wenatchee, Washington, Manito Park, Spokane, Washington, MaClay Gardens,
Tallahassee, Florida, Harry Leu Gardens, Orlando Florida, the Missouri
Botanical Gardens, Norfolk Botanical Gardens, Norfolk, Virginia, Winterthur
Gardens, Delaware, Golden Gate Park gardens, San Francisco, Magnolia
Plantation and Cypress Gardens, Charleston, South Carolina - these are
just a few of many large and beautiful public gardens in the US. If you're
going to tour, start with the southern gardens from late February through
mid-April, then wend your way to the mid-Atlantic, and/or the west coast for
April-May and to the Northwest for June/July.
Some of the above are associated with mansions and estates, others with
public parks.

Old 28-02-2005, 08:31 AM
gregpresley

One other thing to think about. The gardens in the southeast are strongest
in blooming subtropical shrubs (things like azaleas and camellias). In
season, they are breathtaking - out of season, these gardens are rather
dull. The mid-atlantic has a mix of perennials and shrubs, but because the
climate can be harsh, sometimes the display is spotty - although in good
years the mix of beautiful hardwood forests and gardens can be impressive.
For consistently performing displays of both perennials and annuals, the
northwestern gardens are the best, since the summers are not too hot and
there are rarely storms to damage or destroy the display. However, this
upcoming summer may be atypical because the northwest has had very little
snow or rain this winter, and that may mean water-rationing and other
problems for gardens this summer.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:24 AM
ant

hmmm. that might be a big consideration, yes. We'd probably be planning a
spring trip, as I am already in the US for winter times. I wouldn't have
thought of the northwest as a primary garden destination, but the climate is
mild and moist.

ant

Old 27-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant
My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous gardens
in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a
more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these
countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.

ant

Hi Ant,

These links should be helpful.

Directories listing gardens:
http://dir.gardenweb.com/directory/d-cat_list.html
http://www.ilovegardens.com/index.html
http://www.gardenvisit.com/
http://www.botanique.com/

Individual gardens - some lesser known and some famous and all have formal gardens:
http://www.monticello.org/index.html
http://www.jmu.edu/madison/center/ma...montpelier.htm
http://www.lewisginter.org/
http://www.ahs.org/river_farm/index.htm
http://www.annapolis.org/paca.htm
http://www.fieldtrip.com/md/0a557957.htm
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Default.htm
http://www.chanticleergarden.org/index.html
http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/
http://www.winterthur.org/
http://www.bullishall.com/gardens.htm
http://www.biltmore.com/
http://www.ilovegardens.com/Louisian...na_gardens.htm
http://www.crt.state.la.us/crt/parks...n/rosedown.htm
http://www.ortongardens.com/
http://www.wfu.edu/gardens/
http://www.ortongardens.com/
http://www.brookgreen.com/
http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/
http://www.middletonplace.org/
http://www.longuevue.com/
http://www.butchartgardens.com/index.php?viewPage=TRUE
http://www.heritageroses.us/
http://www.hearstcastle.org/
http://www.demuth.org/18garden1.htm
http://www.demuth.org/garden.htm

Wish I could come along!! Have a great trip!
Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 28-02-2005, 02:57 AM
ant

Wow! thanks for all those.

thanks for all these responses btw people, I'm looking at them all and
emailing them home (I'm currently in the US, she's at home in Oz, we are
thinking of doing this next season) so she can have a look. These gardens
are excellent, I'd been asking guests I teach skiing to about open gardens,
and htey all seemed puzzled and had no idea. Glad to see the US (and Canada)
are bursting with world-class gardens. Great websites, too!

ant

http://tinyurl.com/6x84y

http://tinyurl.com/5428x
http://tinyurl.com/3mlzj
http://tinyurl.com/2cusd
http://tinyurl.com/448x3
http://tinyurl.com/5tjp5
http://tinyurl.com/5xdt4
http://tinyurl.com/6ppl6

--
Newt

Old 27-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Mike Prager

ant wrote:

My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous gardens
in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a
more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these
countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.

If you have any interest in tropical plants, the Fairchild
Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables (very near Miami) is
worth a visit.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/

Not exactly stately, but beautiful.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Old 28-02-2005, 02:59 AM
ant

"Mike Prager" §kill-spam§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu wrote in message

If you have any interest in tropical plants, the Fairchild
Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables (very near Miami) is
worth a visit.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/

Not exactly stately, but beautiful.

I was googling and did find this one. I have emailed the link, as I think
she might find it interesting. Look slike a really impressive place.

ant

Old 28-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Toni

"ant" wrote in message

If you have any interest in tropical plants, the Fairchild
Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables (very near Miami) is
worth a visit.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/

Not exactly stately, but beautiful.

I was googling and did find this one. I have emailed the link, as I think
she might find it interesting. Look slike a really impressive place.

It makes for a fun day- if you get tired of walking you can ride the
trolley. And if you ask they will drop you off anywhere along the routes or
pick you up halfway back if you run out of steam. There are many, many
different type areas to explore from "stately" more formal areas to true
jungle. The cafe is airconditioned for a cool down- as is the wonderful
library with the comfy chairs. And you can even buy plants you admire.

--
Toni
Zone 10

Old 27-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Vox Humana

"ant" wrote in message
My mother has always wanted to go and visit the "stately" and famous

gardens
in England. But with the pound being so strong, the US or Canada looks a
more affordable destination. Are there any famous open gardens in these
countries?! I can't recall having heard of any, but there must be some.

Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC http://www.biltmore.com/

Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain, GE http://www.callawayonline.com/

Kingwood in Mansfield, OH http://www.kingwoodcenter.org/gardens.html

White River Gardens, Indianapolis, IN http://www.indyzoo.com/

Park of Roses, Columbus, OH http://recparks.columbus.gov/Parks/Parks_4.asp

Winterthur, Winterthur, DE http://www.winterthur.org/

Primarily a huge conservatory with some gardens:
Phipps Conservatory, Pittsburgh, PA http://www.phipps.conservatory.org/

Old 27-02-2005, 10:23 PM
David J Bockman

For emulating the classic English landscape garden, consider Ney York's
Central Park. http://www.centralpark.org/

While in the city, you can also visit Wave Hill Garden.
http://www.wavehill.org/home/

And also a park considered by many to be Olmsted's crowned jewel, Prospect
Park. http://www.prospectpark.org

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

Old 27-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Phisherman

One of the most impressive garden I know is "The Huntington Library"
in the LA area. It takes all day to see it and lots of walking. The
cactus garden is very impressive. Although there is an actual library,
the gardens are "stately." PBS produced a show about this garden.