Old 15-03-2005, 09:34 PM
V.

Default Intro and question hedges

Hi! I am a _very_ beginning gardener in central Maine. Needless to say, we
don't have a lot of time to do our gardening, so my learning curve is pretty
shallow. Any links to info about gardening in Maine appreciated,
especially good online catalogs for plants.
I've started trying to landscape my yard a little better and prefer
perennials. I grew some vegetables last year but didn't end up eating many,
so I think I'll stick to decorative plants.
I removed some hedges (privet I think) from the front of my home last
summer, but left the two tall "anchors" on each corner of the home. Problem
is that there are bald spots on the tall hedges where they butted up againts
the shorter hedges. Will these fill in, and what should I do to promote
that? The "bald spots" have dead looking branches, but no needles.
My second hedge problem: there is a second row of low hedges along the
sidewalk. The sidewalk snowblower loaded them up with snow this year and
appears to have cracked them in half (we'll se better if/when the snow
melts). Am I right in assuming I'll need to remove them? What would you
replace them with?
Thanks for any help!
Amy

Old 17-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:34:31 -0500, "V." wrote:

I removed some hedges (privet I think) from the front of my home last
summer, but left the two tall "anchors" on each corner of the home. Problem
is that there are bald spots on the tall hedges where they butted up againts
the shorter hedges. Will these fill in, and what should I do to promote
that? The "bald spots" have dead looking branches, but no needles.

First, find out what kind of bushes they are. Privet has leaves, not
needles. Then you can check on the growth habits of the plant to see
if "filling in" is possible and how to encourage it with careful
pruning.

My second hedge problem: there is a second row of low hedges along the
sidewalk. The sidewalk snowblower loaded them up with snow this year and
appears to have cracked them in half (we'll se better if/when the snow
melts). Am I right in assuming I'll need to remove them?

Wait 'til the snow melts.