Old 21-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Jim Carlock

LOL It worked for me last year. Jim Dandee Quick Grits
(Corn Grits).

If you do a google search on the net, you'll find pesticide
companies trying sell ya chemicals and totally badmouthing
grits.

On Google, search for:

kill ants grits

The first link that pops up is the stupid chemical poison company
totally disclaiming it. Ask yourself "Why?"

How'd they get to the top of Google's List?
titleGrits, Ants and Fire Ants: The Truth!/title
meta name="Description" content="Ants are not killed by grits, corn or other such nonsense!"
meta name="Keywords" content="ants,grits,fireants,corn,baits,kill bugs"

They use the words grits, corn ants in their title, h2 tags, the
description and keywords. Most of the other linkes don't go to
all that effort.

Also they claim that it does NOT work because they say the
ants just build another door to the mound.

1) In the case of the wood ants last year, I will tell you that that
first link is LYING THROUGH THEIR TOOTH. You know
you're a redneck when you lie through your tooth. I didn't cover
anything up with the grits last year. Just dropped a couple pinches
of grits here and there around the dead stump. Within a two days
there were no more ants crawling around.
2) Their doorway was NOT covered. I don't know where their
doorway was. I don't care about an ant doorway. They were
big (1cm in length) red wood ants that like to eat (dead trees?).
3) The little red ants, I don't know where their doorway was,
but I have an idea that they were coming from the other side of
the fence and just happened to set up a new residence on my
side of the fence. Well, 1 (or 2 days at most) after a few grits
were dropped, the ants were gone.

Now look at the other links on google. You'll see similar claims.
Last year while looking for a way to kill ants I wasn't searching
for:

kill ants grits

I was searching for:

kill ants

After reading through 10 or so links I found the suggestion that
grits could be used. It indicated that the ants farted themselves
to death after eating the grits.

You know you're a redneck when your next meal is killed by
it's own farts.

;-)

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.

"Cereus-validus....." wrote:
Who said it works?

He's making fun of you, dimwit.

Can't believe you are actually dumb enough to fall for it.

"Doug Kanter" wrote:
What the hell? Why does it work???

"Jim Carlock" wrote:
Try some grits... you know the cheap bag of grits from the
grocery store. Spread half a cup near the ant mound. It's
cheap, and it seemed to work for me last summer. It's
not going to harm anything and I'd really appreciate knowing
if it really works for other types of ants.

I placed it in an area with some tiny red ... uhmm fire ants,
as well as an area where some big red tree ants were eating
away on a dead stump. Within a day or maybe two I didn't
see the ants anymore.

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.

"gnb" wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:
snip

Even if it says something like "Safe to use near edibles, but wait
X amount of days before eating....", it has never, and will never
actually be tested on humans. So, you know......it's a free country,
and we're allowed to believe whatever fairy tales are convenient.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies - even if it was simply to say ,
"duh". I thought it might be a duh kind of question, but since I tend
to be overly cautious I thought it might just be one more of those
things that I worry needlessly about, so I asked.

I think I'll just stomp on the mound every day and hope they move on.
Stinkin' fire ants anyway.. I hate 'em!
Gayle

Old 22-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 03:41:20 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

Boric acid is safe

EXTREMELY TOXIC!!!!!!!
Old 22-03-2005, 02:05 AM
S Orth

I would be afraid the pesticide would be taken up by the plants. First,
read the label to see what it says about using it near edibles. Here in
Wisconsin we don't have fire ants, but our first line ant removal
recommendation is to douse the hill DEEPLY with hot water. I imagine you'll
have to be careful with the water temp so close to your plant's roots, but
sometimes just drenching the soil with water makes it too wet for a good ant
habitat.

Good luck!
Suzy in Wisconsin, Zone 5

"The way to avoid housework is to live outside." -Sandra Blacksmith, 1901

If I put fire-ant poison on an anthill at the base of my blueberry
bush, or near the roots of my strawberries or veggies should an anthill
pop up there also, can the roots take up some of the chemical,
ultimately winding up in the edible portions of the plant?
Gayle

Old 22-03-2005, 03:28 AM
Jim Carlock

In addition to what Lar mentioned, NaCl is safe to eat, but the
two molecules when separated are extremily toxic, and in it's
current molecular (NaCl) state, it is one of the most corrosive
abundant compounds found in the environment, corrosive to
most if not all metals, leathers, clothing, plastics, rubbers and
who knows what else. In fact it is so corrosive, people, including
governments considered it detrimental to human health if
consumed. Now given that it's so corrosive to everything it is
commonly indicated that taking a swim in salt water is a good
thing. And it's really amazing, the amount and size of the life
forms that live in sal****er. It's got to be one of the most ironic
good ugly beautiful evil compounds I can think of.

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.

Travis stated...
From the Columbia Encyclopedia:
"A dilute water solution of boric acid is commonly used as a mild
antiseptic and eyewash."

So it isn't always "EXTREMELY TOXIC".

"Lar" replied:
You are comparing usage of boric acid to a solution containing boric
acid in a much diluted form. Hydrochloric Acid is also found in many eye
drops, but I don't think I would consider it safe to work with or put
out in the environment.
--
Lar

Old 22-03-2005, 12:35 PM
gnb

Phisherman wrote:
snipped We have interesting ant lions in the rose garden that
constantly trap ants.

Ant lions? And interesting ones at that....hmmm...... ?

Old 22-03-2005, 12:48 PM
gnb

Try some grits... you know the cheap bag of grits from the
grocery store. Spread half a cup near the ant mound. It's
cheap, and it seemed to work for me last summer. It's
not going to harm anything and I'd really appreciate knowing
if it really works for other types of ants.

I placed it in an area with some tiny red ... uhmm fire ants,
as well as an area where some big red tree ants were eating
away on a dead stump. Within a day or maybe two I didn't
see the ants anymore.

--
Jim Carlock

Okay, I'll try sprinkling some instant grits around the mound, just
because you said you would appreciate knowing if it really works for
other types of ants. After reading up on fire ants from the link Lar
posted, I think it may be a waste of time, but it's not like it's going
to take a whole lot of time anyway.

Why do you say "uhmm fire ants"? You don't live in the south, do you?

Old 22-03-2005, 12:53 PM
gnb

Lar wrote:
snipped
http://fireant.tamu.edu/research/arr...htm#97-01,%204

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

Thanks for the link! Apparently the parasitic flies brought back from
South America in 1999 in an attempt to control the fire ants wasn't all
that successful. Not if our property is any indication! The parts of
that article that I could understand were very interesting. lol

Old 22-03-2005, 12:57 PM
gnb

S Orth wrote:
I would be afraid the pesticide would be taken up by the plants.

First,
read the label to see what it says about using it near edibles. Here

in
Wisconsin we don't have fire ants, but our first line ant removal
recommendation is to douse the hill DEEPLY with hot water. I imagine

you'll
have to be careful with the water temp so close to your plant's

roots, but
sometimes just drenching the soil with water makes it too wet for a

good ant
habitat.

Good luck!
Suzy in Wisconsin, Zone 5

After reading this thread, I've decided not to use any chemicals at
all. I'll just irritate them with deep waterings and disturbing their
mound until they move on. I'll spend the entire summer chasing them
around.
Thank you for your reply,
Gayle

Old 22-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Lar

In article reP%d.19555$oa6.11927@trnddc07,
lid says...
Please name two eye drops that contain hydrocloric acid.

Nonmedicinal ingredients: benzalkonium chloride, boric acid, disodium
edetate, purified distilled water, sodium chloride. pH adjusted to 6.4
with sodium hydroxide or hydrochloric acid.

http://mediresource.sympatico.ca/dru...d_name_id=1885
&channel_id=139&dowhat=accept_disclaimer

Ingredients
Benzalkonium Chloride , Boric Acid , Edetate Disodium , Purified Water ,
Sodium Borate , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Hydroxide , Hydrochloric Acid

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...&id=prod352383
&skuid=sku352384&navAction=push&navCount=1

Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Contains: Carboxylmethylcellulose Sodium (0.5%)
Inactive Ingredients: Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium
Chloride, Purified Water, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Lactate, Hydrochloric
Acid (May Contain), Sodium Hydroxide (May Contain)

http://www.rxsolutions.com/a/Shoppin...uctDetail.asp?
qsCatalogNum=221248

Inactive Ingredients:
Boric acid; calcium chloride; magnesium chloride; potassium chloride;
purified water; PURITE® (stabilized oxychloro complex); sodium borate;
and sodium chloride. May also contain hydrochloric acid and/or sodium
hydroxide to adjust pH.

http://www.vitasprings.com/refresh-t...eye-drops.html

Inactive Ingredients: Sodium Chloride, Boric Acid, Sodium Borate,
Edetate Disodium 0.01%, Sodium Hydroxide and/or Hydrochloric Acid
(adjust pH), Purified Water.

http://www.mypatienteducation.com/naeyedr1ou1.html

Lubricant Eye Drops with Dextran 70.01% and Hydroxypropyl
Methylcellulose 2910 0.3%. May also contain Hydrochloric Acid and/or
Sodium Hydroxide and/or Carbon Dioxide to adjust pH. DM-00.

http://www.visiondirect.com/qxp12294_333181
_sespider/bion_tears/lubricant_eye_drops_single_use_vials.htm

Inactive ingredients: boric acid and sodium borate buffer system
preserved with benzalkonium chloride (0.01%) and edetate disodium
(0.1%), sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid (to adjust pH) and
purified water

http://www.pfizer.com/do/counter/eye/mn_visine_a.html

Ingredients: Dextran 70 0.1% (lubricant), Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
2910 0.3% (lubricant), Polyquad 0.001% (Polyquaternium-1), Potassium
Chloride, Purified Water, Sodium Borate and Sodium Chloride, May Contain
Hydrochloric and/or Sodium Hydroxide to adjust pH
Directions: Instill one or two drops in the affected eye(s) as needed.

http://clecontactlenses.com/cgi-bin/...solutions3.htm

COMPOSITION
AZOPTIC Eye Drops is a sterile, aqueous suspension containing 10 mg
brinzolamide per mL with benzalkonium chloride 0.01% (m/v) as
preservative. It is formulated to be readily suspended with slow
settling following shaking, with a pH of approximately 7.5 and an
osmolality of 300 mOsm/kg. Inactive ingredients are mannitol, carbomer
974P, tyloxapol, edetate disodium, sodium chloride, hydrochloric acid
and/or sodium hydroxide (to adjust pH), and purified water.

http://home.intekom.com/pharm/alcon/azoptic.html

TRAVATAN contains 40 micrograms of travoprost per mL in a sterile
ophthalmic solution preserved with 0.015% (m/v) benzalkonium chloride.
Excipients: polyoxyethylene hydrogenated castor oil 40 (HCO-40),
trometamol, disodium edetate, boric acid (E284), mannitol (E421), sodium
hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid (to adjust pH) and purified water.

http://home.intekom.com/pharm/alcon/travatan.html

Active ingredient: brimonidine tartrate 0.5% (5 mg/mL).
Preservative: benzalkonium chloride (0.05 mg).
Inactives: citric acid; polyvinyl alcohol; sodium chloride; sodium
citrate; and purified water.
Hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide may be added to adjust pH.

http://66.102.7.104/search?
q=cache:QsTiB8ZBF1kJ:http://www.agingeye.net/glaucoma/Alp...f+hydrochloric
+acid++eye+drops&hl=en&client=firefox-a

ISOPTO Homatropine Eye Drops 5%:
Sodium chloride, benzalkonium chloride, hypromellose, sodium
hydroxide/or hydrochloric acid (to adjust pH) and purified water.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS