Old 06-11-2004, 10:58 PM
William Brown

Default Growth on blueberry bush

I get one or two of these growths on my blueberry bushes each year. At
first I thought it was some sort of cocoon, but I cut one open and
didn't see what appeared to be an insect. They usually grow at a joint
between branches and, if left alone, eventually become brown and woody.
I have some pictures of a new one I just picked off at
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/wbrown...nt/photos.html
there.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Mark Herbert

In article ,
William Brown wrote:

I get one or two of these growths on my blueberry bushes each year. At
first I thought it was some sort of cocoon, but I cut one open and
didn't see what appeared to be an insect. They usually grow at a joint
between branches and, if left alone, eventually become brown and woody.
I have some pictures of a new one I just picked off at
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/wbrown...nt/photos.html

Looks like a gall of some sort. It may have been caused by a virus,
fungus, or bacterium, but more likely was the home for a brood of little
wasps which have long since left their nursery.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Beecrofter

William Brown wrote in message ...
I get one or two of these growths on my blueberry bushes each year. At
first I thought it was some sort of cocoon, but I cut one open and
didn't see what appeared to be an insect. They usually grow at a joint
between branches and, if left alone, eventually become brown and woody.
I have some pictures of a new one I just picked off at
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/wbrown...nt/photos.html

Look at blueberry crown gall,
Not a major pest.
Of course including your location makes these things easier to figure
Old 07-11-2004, 07:51 PM
William Brown

Beecrofter wrote:
William Brown wrote in message ...

I get one or two of these growths on my blueberry bushes each year. At
first I thought it was some sort of cocoon, but I cut one open and
didn't see what appeared to be an insect. They usually grow at a joint
between branches and, if left alone, eventually become brown and woody.
I have some pictures of a new one I just picked off at
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/wbrown...nt/photos.html

Look at blueberry crown gall,
Not a major pest.
Of course including your location makes these things easier to figure

Thanks. We are in northern Ohio zone 5 but some say zone 6 because we
are near Lake Erie. I modified my web page with some better pictures.

If it is crown gall, what I have read says there is nothing to be done,
as all the remedies are for application at planting. I have a row of
these as a hedge and they are all very slow growing, almost stunted, but
they are right next to the concrete driveway and my soil is far from
acidic. I'm going to keep any eye on, in particular, the next plant and
if it shows up there I may replace them all. Hate to have to do that
because they are so long becoming productive.
there.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Mike LaMana

Depending on where you are in the world, the growth on the plant may be the
manifestation of blueberry-fir rust -a fungal disease that alternates
between blueberries and true firs in the genus Abies.

--
Mike LaMana, MS CTE
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 08-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Beecrofter

are near Lake Erie. I modified my web page with some better pictures.

If it is crown gall, what I have read says there is nothing to be done,
as all the remedies are for application at planting. I have a row of
these as a hedge and they are all very slow growing, almost stunted, but
they are right next to the concrete driveway and my soil is far from
acidic. I'm going to keep any eye on, in particular, the next plant and
if it shows up there I may replace them all. Hate to have to do that
because they are so long becoming productive.

Prune and remove the galls you find, don't panic it is not likely to
become a big pest.
Try to keep the soil on the acid side, mulch with pine straw, shredded
leaves, coffeee grounds, or AGED sawdust.
Prune some branches that are peeling near the ground every year.
Sulfur will slowly acidify the soil ,look into some.
Blueberrise hate salt, mind the snow removal!