Old 24-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Phisherman

Default Great new tool for Composting, Topsoil and mulching

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:21:36 -0500, "ideasimages"
wrote:

This new innovative tool allows you to screen your own topsoil, mulch and
compost with the cleaned product left in your wheelbarrow. snip

Nothing "innocative" about a screen. It's easy to build your own
from inexpensive materials from your DIY. I used pine 2x4s, furring
strips, waterproof carpenter's glue, 1/2" hardware cloth, deck
screws, nails and heavy-duty staples. Size the frame such that it is
supported on top of your wheel barrow. I used rabbet joints on the
corners for added strength. Nail furring strips over the hardware
cloth edges after stapling the hardware cloth to the frame. I applied
a coat of decking varnish to protect the wood. I screen soil,
compost, peat moss, etc with it. Great for mixing too. My screen is
surviving its 11th year of heavy use.
Old 24-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Ann

Phisherman expounded:

Nothing "innocative" about a screen. It's easy to build your own
from inexpensive materials from your DIY. I used pine 2x4s, furring
strips, waterproof carpenter's glue, 1/2" hardware cloth, deck
screws, nails and heavy-duty staples. Size the frame such that it is
supported on top of your wheel barrow. I used rabbet joints on the
corners for added strength. Nail furring strips over the hardware
cloth edges after stapling the hardware cloth to the frame. I applied
a coat of decking varnish to protect the wood. I screen soil,
compost, peat moss, etc with it. Great for mixing too. My screen is
surviving its 11th year of heavy use.

I'm going to build one tomorrow to fit my Smart Cart. I had one for
years, but it finally rotted and broke. You're right, they're very
inexpensive and easy to make.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

[IMG] code is On

Tomatoe grafting from Johnny's Spam Spam Spam Bill who putters Gardening 6 23-12-2009 11:13 AM
Great Garden Website - actually it's spam Cereus-validus Gardening 5 24-02-2004 03:12 AM
Composting anything was Composting ivy Reid© United Kingdom 5 29-09-2003 09:02 PM
composting tool karen Gardening 7 28-03-2003 09:08 PM
Some great NEW products... and a great Bonus ordering opportunity! Earl Buchan Gardening 0 21-03-2003 06:08 PM