Old 29-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Charles Woolever

Default Wildflower checklist or journal?

Has anyone ever heard of a wildflower checklist or journal for the
Northeast U.S. or NY State? I've seen such books for birds and other
animals and wondered if one was made for wildflowers.

If not, has anyone seen a good generic wildflower journal?

Thanks,

Charles
Old 29-03-2005, 03:42 AM
Cereus-validus.....

Is this what you are looking for?

Mitchell, R.S. ed. 1986
A Checklist of New York State Plants
Contributions of a Flora of New York State, Checklist III. New York
State Bulletin No. 458
New York State Museum
Albany

http://www.fna.org/FNA/

http://biology.usgs.gov/s+t/noframe/j084.htm

Old 01-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:54:11 GMT, Charles Woolever
wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of a wildflower checklist or journal for the
Northeast U.S. or NY State? I've seen such books for birds and other
animals and wondered if one was made for wildflowers.

Might you be thinking of the Peterson field guides?

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/...eNumber=681386
Old 01-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Charles Woolever

More like this.

It has each bird with a place to note when and where you saw a bird.

So I was looking for something similar for wildflowers.

Charles

Old 03-04-2005, 04:52 AM
Charles Woolever

Yes, that is one suggestion that I even brought up in my original post.

But, if you have pages and pages of notes on birds or flowers or
whatever you saw, it can be difficult to find a note on when you last
saw something or even if you did.

People use these pre-printed books because it can be easy to look
something up. Wondered when you last saw a particular orchid? Flip
through to the orchids and there on one of the 4-5 lines that were
provided next to each flower is when and where you saw it.

After 10 years, you'll need a whole day just to read through all your
handwritten notes if you just kept a journal.

Nothing wrong with journals. I keep some but keeping track of some
things is much easier now with some of these books and computer programs
that are available.

Charles

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 4/1/05 4:18 PM, in article
, "Charles
Woolever" wrote:

More like this.

It has each bird with a place to note when and where you saw a bird.

So I was looking for something similar for wildflowers.

How about a notebook and a pencil???

Old 03-04-2005, 05:26 AM
BattMeals

Charles Woolever wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of a wildflower checklist or journal for the
Northeast U.S. or NY State? I've seen such books for birds and other
animals and wondered if one was made for wildflowers.

If not, has anyone seen a good generic wildflower journal?

Thanks,

Charles

Mitchell, R. S. 2000. Database and Revised Checklist of New York State
Plants. Part 1) A Database of New York State Plants. In Microsoft
Access™, 3779 entries. Part 2) Mitchell, R. S. & G. C. Tucker, Revised
Checklist of New York State Plants, Edition II. In Microsoft Word™, 332
pp. Distributed in CD-ROM format. New York State Museum. Albany, New York