Old 07-02-2006, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Default Kew Monocotyledon checklist

The wonderfully useful web site, sponsored by the Royal Botanic Gardens (Kew
Gardens) has recently had a facelift.

http://www.kew.org/wcsp/home.do

It is now easier to use to find accepted names, references and synonyms but
they have also added a very useful link to Google images.

Just look up a species and you can get instant access to many photos of the
species by clicking on the Google picture link - no more misspelt searches!

Cheers

John

--
John Varigos
Melbourne, Australia

Old 07-02-2006, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

I use this site all the time for checking spelling, finding synonyms, etc.
Of course you need to remember that this is the opinion of one group of
taxonomists, so you may occasionally run across things accepted under
different names (and maybe even different spelling) than you are used to.
Despite any imperfections the RBG web site is by far the easiest and most
complete reference for orchid names.
-danny

om...

Old 08-02-2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt

John,

Thanks for the info! That's quite nice.

I did notice that they are querying google.co.uk and not the bigger
google.com.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 08-02-2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Pity. Like all nationalities they are being a bit parochial.

I have compared searches using both engines on a random sample of orchid
names and the UK site gives fewer results (as you would expect) but the
first ones seem the same for both searches which is probably enough if you
just want to see what the flower looks like.
If one doesn't get any hits a full Google search is easily done.

Cheers

John