Old 05-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Registered User

Location: London, UK
Question Daphne - some yellowy leaves

I've got this mature Daphne - sorry, I don't know the name but it has dark green leaves with yellow edges. It's about 4'H x 3'W. I've had it for several years. It obviously likes its position - right in front of an east-facing wall which gets the morning sun till about midday - and must like the general soil conditions which are pretty claggy/clay.

I've had an excellent display of flowers this year but some of the leaves have gone quite yellow and look very poorly! The shrub obviously is deficient in something but I don't know enough about gardening to be able to say what. Can anybody advise me?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodger99
I've got this mature Daphne - sorry, I don't know the name but it has dark green leaves with yellow edges. It's about 4'H x 3'W. I've had it for several years. It obviously likes its position - right in front of an east-facing wall which gets the morning sun till about midday - and must like the general soil conditions which are pretty claggy/clay.

I've had an excellent display of flowers this year but some of the leaves have gone quite yellow and look very poorly! The shrub obviously is deficient in something but I don't know enough about gardening to be able to say what. Can anybody advise me?

Thanks

Daphne can be a bit tricky, just up and dying for no apparent reason. They can also shed their leaves in spring but will grow new ones. Your daphne is probably Daphne 'Carol Mackie'. Take a look here for some helpful info.
http://www.darrelltrout.com/dtartdapgro.asp
http://www.darrelltrout.com/dtartdapabo.asp
http://www.darrelltrout.com/dtartdappru.asp

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Registered User

Location: London, UK

Newt,

The links are really useful, thanks
Old 06-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodger99
Newt,

The links are really useful, thanks

Boodger, you are very welcome!!
Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

[IMG] code is On

Daphne Pete United Kingdom 9 26-07-2011 10:40 AM
Brown leaves on some maple leaves on some branches eganders Gardening 1 30-07-2007 03:49 AM
I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 03:17 PM
Daphne Pete United Kingdom 0 04-01-2004 11:07 AM
Daphne Odora- diagnosis, please skg Gardening 2 14-04-2003 07:08 AM