Old 05-04-2005, 04:49 PM
junkyardcat

Default Flowers in your garden that bloom all Summer

I'm trying to figure out what I want to add to my gardens this year and
would like some input. What do you have growing in your gardens that blooms
all Summer and tolerates Texas style heat? I will be planting some in full
sun, some in partial shade, and some in full shade...trying to beautify my
whole property...suggestions?

Thanks!
Angie in the Boonies of East Texas

Old 06-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Wysong *~

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I'm trying to figure out what I want to add to my gardens this year and
would like some input. What do you have growing in your gardens that

blooms
all Summer and tolerates Texas style heat? I will be planting some in full
sun, some in partial shade, and some in full shade...trying to beautify my
whole property...suggestions?

--------------
We have intense heat here as well. As for annuals in the hot sun -
marigolds, salvia, fire-feather and cocks-comb, cleome, zinnias, African
daisy, geranium etc.
All part-shade plants do well if watered. If not watered few thrive in the
shady areas. None in dense shade. We use Impatiens and begonia mainly where
there's dappled sun.
Nothing grows here in full shade but that low growing lichen (?).

Are you interested in Perennials? Daylilies do fine in the sun and part-sun
if watered once in awhile. Phlox and the mini rose bushes in full sun with
some water. Perennials don't do too well where I live in middle TN (zone
6). Our summers are usually very hot, very humid but lacking in rainfall.

WS.......

Old 06-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

As suggested you could plant daylilies. There are many that are everblooming and some that rebloom. You could do a search at www.google.com and put in the search box terms such as:
everbloom + daylily
rebloom + daylily

You don't say what your hardiness zone is, but the hardy perennial Geranium 'Rozanne' will start blooming in June and bloom continuously until frost. It will need some shade in a hot environment. It will spread to a large clump of about 3' to 4' around. It's hardy to zone 8 and probably zone 9 in morning sun with afternoon shade.
http://www.overthegardengate.net/gar...sp?linkid=1758
http://www.overthegardengate.net/gar...sp?linkid=1911

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 25-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Sue

junkyardcat wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what I want to add to my gardens this year and
would like some input. What do you have growing in your gardens that blooms
all Summer and tolerates Texas style heat? I will be planting some in full
sun, some in partial shade, and some in full shade...trying to beautify my
whole property...suggestions?

Thanks!
Angie in the Boonies of East Texas

I am a 100 percent fan of perennial geraniums for most garden spots.
There are many varieties and colors, different heights, etc. Most will
tolerate partial shade but not full shade. They go with everything!
This year, for the very first time, I'm raising some from seeds. Some
varieties came up in the greenhouse but other varieties didn't. The
instructions for the slow germinators included placing them in the
fridge if they hadn't come up in 8 weeks. Suze
Old 25-04-2005, 02:36 PM
LisaTWade

Gaillardia pulchella will do excellent for you and blooms a long long
time.