Old 22-06-2004, 04:06 PM
cat4554

Default roses that bloom all summer

Is there a climber and / or ground cover rose bush that blooms all summer?
I prefer a pink color. Not much luck with climber "Eden" and ground cover
"Electric Blanket".
Old 23-06-2004, 07:06 PM
MadDKate

Hi:

I have reading group comments for some time. You all sound very informed
about rose problems and the group has helped a lot without knowing it. Now
I have a problem that I have not seen mentioned.
Many of my roses are turning brown from the bottom up end nothing seems to
stop it. They are being watered. This sort of blight is now spreading to
other plants. I have tried pruning, but it only seems to slow down the
problem.

-- Kathleen

Interested in refinancing? But you've been putting it off because you don't
want the hassle of filling out long complicated forms. Then click below.
No hassle. No pop-ups. Easy - QUICK - No Nonsense Answers
https://www.secure-loanbridgefinanci...Shortform?ante

"Marina" wrote in message
On 22 Jun 2004 07:09:57 -0700, (cat4554) wrote:

Is there a climber and / or ground cover rose bush that blooms all

summer?
I prefer a pink color. Not much luck with climber "Eden" and ground

cover
"Electric Blanket".

I've just chosen Rosarium Uetersen as a repeat
bloomer/climber/fragrant/pink - don't yet know how they'll fare as
they've just been planted this year but they arrived in nice condition
from Ashdown Roses.

Old 24-06-2004, 01:04 AM
ben boorman

what kind of roses? some roses actually turn brown, a bit early in the
year for that though. Where do you live? etc.... Best bet is to check
with your local rose society or a good local nursery that specializes in
roses. Don't ask the folks at walmart or home depot. Roses like any
plant, lose some of their foliage throughout the year.

Ben

Old 24-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Shiva

cat4554 wrote:

Is there a climber and / or ground cover rose bush that blooms all summer?
I prefer a pink color. Not much luck with climber "Eden" and ground cover
"Electric Blanket".

Nobody can tell you anything useful until we know
where you are.

Old 25-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Luis_PR

There are many things that can cause the browning of leaves. I always
consider three factors when figuring out these problems: environmental,
pests and diseases. Environmental factors such as a mineral defficiency
can be detected by making a soil test. Pests such as voles and gophers
come to mind and would be my best bet. Diseases such as some form of
root rot can also explain the browning of leaves.

If a thorough inspection of the bushes during the day and at night
yielded no clues and the browning of leaves is the only symptom that you
see, I would concentrate on checking below the ground. I recommend
selecting the worst looking plant and checking its root system.
Determine if some unwanted visitor has been eating the roots. If so,
take appropriate action. If not, look to see if the root system appears
healthy or if it has fungal growth. A member of a local rose society can
probably help you diagnose "healthy" root tissue if you are unsure.
Check www.ars.org for the nearest local chapter. Do not delay.

Since the plants are under obvious stress and attack of some form, I
would consider limiting the use of chemical fertilizers until a cause is
isolated. If you are currently aplpying fungicides (say, for blackspot),
continue doing so. Temporarily replace the chemical fertilizers with
liquid seaweed, fish emulsion, etc. Those products can be easily
purchased at local cahin stores or organic stores. When watering, make
sure that the soil needs water. Do not go overboard watering now and
create other problems.

Good luck!

Old 26-06-2004, 12:04 AM
MadDKate

Hi: Sorry, I was not specific enough about my roses. They include Peace.
Elizabeth and a very old style tea rose (climber). I don't know the name.
The browning starts with the bottom leaves and gradually creeps up the
plant. This has also happened to my Jasmine and even some of my Lobelia.

I live in Carlsbad, CA and my place is only a short distance from the
coast - about blocks. The weather has been overcast a lot here with only
partial clearing on most days.

Any suggestions would be received with delight.

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.31c584d6c715cfcded08544235bc6676 @1088044079.nulluser.com...

Old 01-07-2004, 05:04 AM
Gail Futoran

"MadDKate" wrote in message
Hi: Sorry, I was not specific enough about my roses.

They include Peace.
Elizabeth and a very old style tea rose (climber).

Peace may or may not be a sturdy rose. It's
been around for so long, and so many people
sell it, you might have a weak version. I've gone
through several copies of Peace from different
sources. Only the 3rd copy has done at all well.

Queen Elizabeth (I assume that's what you mean
by Elizabeth?) is one of those hard-to-kill roses.
Mine is in a bed that used to have 12 roses and
now only QE is left - still blooming, too.

I don't know the name.
The browning starts with the bottom leaves and gradually

creeps up the
plant. This has also happened to my Jasmine and even some

of my Lobelia.

Could it be something in the air, something like
acid rain? Or other airborne pollutant. You might
call a local nursery and ask. They would know
local conditions better. The only thing I can
think of that would cause leaves to brown like
that is drying out - too little water. Or an
infestation of grubs killing the roots. But I don't
know if that would affect your other flowers
that way.

I live in Carlsbad, CA and my place is only a short

distance from the
coast - about blocks. The weather has been overcast a lot

here with only
partial clearing on most days.

Any suggestions would be received with delight.

Kathleen

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8