Old 07-04-2005, 06:02 PM
PatK

Default Bulb question

Hi all,

I got a pot full of the tiny daffodils and a pot of hyacinths that a
neighbor gave me. The flowers have dried up pretty badly. Do I cut the
greenery off of them and plant them outside now or should I wait until
fall? I didn't know if I should treat them like you outside bulbs and
wait until the green died back and cut it off and plant in the fall or
if I could plant them now. Any suggestions?

Pat
Old 07-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Snooze

"PatK" wrote in message
Hi all,

I got a pot full of the tiny daffodils and a pot of hyacinths that a
neighbor gave me. The flowers have dried up pretty badly. Do I cut the
greenery off of them and plant them outside now or should I wait until
fall? I didn't know if I should treat them like you outside bulbs and wait
until the green died back and cut it off and plant in the fall or if I
could plant them now. Any suggestions?

Pat

You wait until most of the greenry has died, as the bulb reabsorbs the
energy and stores it for next year. Having said that, often bulbs don't
bloom the 2nd and 3rd year. You just get green shoots.

-S

Old 08-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

Don't trim the greenery. It's food for next year's bulbs and blooms.
If you can set the plants out now where they're intended to grow, that
would be my first choice. My second choice would be to put the pot outside,
keep it watered, and plant when things have withered. Don't wait till fall,
because you'll probably forget, if you're like me.

Kay

Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Cereus-validus.....

The energy the plant stores this year is from this year's photosynthesis
from the leaves. It is not reabsorbed from the leaves. So, you should leave
the foliage on the plants and plant them in the soil as is right now. Be
sure to water them and fertilize them with a good bulb fertilizer. They may
or may not bloom next year.

"Snooze" wrote in message
om...

Old 08-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Don't know why so many people have this misconception.

The leaves themselves are not the food. The leaves produce the food through
photosynthesis.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Hemmaholic

As long as the foliage is green it is photosynthesizing and making food
for the bulbs. However, as they begin to turn yellow and die back,
moisture and nutrients remaining in the foliage is absorbed by the
bulb.

The small growing daffodils are very fast to increase so when you do
plant them out (4 to 5 inches deep) allow space for increase between
the bulbs. The larger bulbs may very well bloom next spring, their
second year will give a nice display and by the third year they will
begin to make rather bold statements in the Spring flower beds. These
are perfect for front of the border, in rockeries and under shrubs.

I have had to life and divide the ones I have about every 4 to 5 year
to keep them from crowding out other plants and to keep them blooming
heavily.

Hemma

Old 08-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Philip Lewis

"Cereus-validus....." writes:
Don't know why so many people have this misconception.

not sure why folks didn't read that in the post...
Kay was using shorthand of implied words, at least in my reading.

It's [the source of the] food for next year's bulbs and blooms.

Saying the leaves are the food to me is like saying the earth is a
farmers livelyhood... when in actuality, the crops are.

--
be safe.
flip