Old 14-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Gntry

Default Lilies

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about lilies. I was thinking about
putting them in my yard along a fence to hide it...is this a good choice?
How hardy are they? If I plant them now, how long before they'd be approx.
3ft high? Any info is greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure what zone I am, I'm in upstate NY near Buffalo.
Thanks
Cg

Old 14-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Dawn

Gntry wrote:

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about lilies. I was thinking about
putting them in my yard along a fence to hide it...is this a good choice?
How hardy are they?

What kind of lilies? I think you could grow daylilies up there, we had
them in MA, growing wild. Not sure about the oriental lilies or plants
like Easter lilies. You have a few options. They'll all get a few feet
high, but only in midsummer, so it won't hide your fence the rest of the
year.

Dawn

Old 15-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Phisherman

Lilies probably won't grow than 2 feet tall. I planted a 120 foot row
of Rose of Sharon to hide my neighbor's cyclone fence and barking dog.
The hedge is now 10 feet tall and blooms from mid summer to fall,
draws bees and hummingbirds, then drops its leaves in the fall. I
trim it back every fall to keep it contained. It provides excellent
privacy during the summer/fall months when I need it. I got lots of
compliments from the neighbors. ROS grows well in Cleveland, Ohio, so
it should do well in Buffalo.

Old 15-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Warren

Phisherman wrote:
Lilies probably won't grow than 2 feet tall.

Some of my Asiatic and Oriental lilies have grown to 5' tall. Nearly all are
over 3'. Of course my daylillies don't grow anywhere near that high.

"Lillies" covers such a broad category, you can't make a blanket statement
about them not growing more than 2' tall unless you qualify that by saying
what kind of lillies you're talking about -- or at least narrow it down a
bit.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Care for your landscape with Black and Decker cordless tools
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html

Old 15-04-2005, 06:54 AM
presley

In fact foxtail lilies (eremurus) can grow up to 9 feet tall! However, their
flowering is over in July, and then you have a tall brown stem to look at
the rest of the summer.

Old 16-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:48:49 -0400, "Gntry" wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about lilies. I was thinking about
putting them in my yard along a fence to hide it...is this a good choice?

Not very. Oriental lily foliage is thin and sparse, and the plants die
back each year. The blooms las only a few weeks, and the rest of the
time they're just 1 tall stem with some thin leaves.