Old 24-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Airkings

Default Low spots in yard

I have some low spots in my yard that I'd like to fill in for safety
purposes. They are grass-covered, so I'm wondering how I can fill them in
and still preserve the grass? Is it possible to "peel back" the grass, and
throw some black dirt in underneath? Any advice, ideas? Thanks!

--
x-no-archive: yes

Dave

Old 24-04-2005, 03:57 PM
David Bockman

"Airkings" wrote in
. net:

I have some low spots in my yard that I'd like to fill in for safety
purposes. They are grass-covered, so I'm wondering how I can fill them
in and still preserve the grass? Is it possible to "peel back" the
grass, and throw some black dirt in underneath? Any advice, ideas?
Thanks!

The easiest way is to (using a sharp spade) cut an 'X' through the turf
above the low spot. You can then peel back the turf and fill in with good
topsoil until it's level-- actually, I mound it just a tad as it almost
always settles a bit in the weeks afterwards.

Dave
Old 24-04-2005, 09:21 PM
KD

"David Bockman" wrote in message
9.11...
"Airkings" wrote in
. net:

I have some low spots in my yard that I'd like to fill in for safety
purposes. They are grass-covered, so I'm wondering how I can fill them
in and still preserve the grass? Is it possible to "peel back" the
grass, and throw some black dirt in underneath? Any advice, ideas?
Thanks!

The easiest way is to (using a sharp spade) cut an 'X' through the turf
above the low spot. You can then peel back the turf and fill in with good
topsoil until it's level-- actually, I mound it just a tad as it almost
always settles a bit in the weeks afterwards.

Dave

Thanks for the info! I have this problem too. I've been applying
topsoil/compost/manure mixture to the top of it each spring and fall since I
moved in a year and a half ago (which adds up to exactly twice), mixing in
some grass seed. It's made a bit of a difference, but this method sounds
better for some of the worse hollows. I'll still continue with my fall
topdress though, I think it should fill in the valleys eventually.

KD

Old 24-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Phisherman

I did this and it worked well. I cut an "H" in the area, peeled back
the flaps, added soil, tamp back the turf, and water. Water again
the following day.