Old 27-04-2005, 05:16 AM

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Tulips in Deer Country

One of our great plans for moving to the country was to develop our
property
into part grand English type park and part natural area to promote
native
flora and fauna.

Well it seems that the native fauna has their own ideas for our
property and
we have all but abandoned any hope of realizing our goals.

js
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Old 27-04-2005, 08:02 AM
presley

wow - a little tulip concentration camp......
I have had to resort to this some years when the squirrels were particularly
hungry for new crocus flowers. I had planted crocus into the grass in my
front parking strip and ended up having little bits of chicken wire over
many of the clumps - VERY attractive.....LOL
oups.com...

Old 28-04-2005, 05:07 AM

You should see the vegie garden, rabbit netting for bottom foot and 5
electric wires above that. The deer just barge through but the racoons
will distroy the corn in one night.

Old 29-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One of our great plans for moving to the country was to develop our property into part grand English type park and part natural area to promote native flora and fauna.

Well it seems that the native fauna has their own ideas for our property and we have all but abandoned any hope of realizing our goals.

js
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Hi JS
I noticed that you asked for a list of plants that deer don't eat at your site. This should be helpful, but I'm sure you know that if they're hungry enough, there's no stopping them.
http://www.lotf.com/misc/deer/deer.htm
http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/deer/plants.htm
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult...u/resistan.htm

You might also find this deer fence helpful.
http://www.bennersgardens.com/

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 29-04-2005, 08:50 PM
John F. Carr

In article .com,
wrote:
One of our great plans for moving to the country was to develop our
property
into part grand English type park and part natural area to promote
native
flora and fauna.

Well it seems that the native fauna has their own ideas for our
property and
we have all but abandoned any hope of realizing our goals.

My sister has a pair of Boxers (highly excitable dogs).
They keep the deer out of the fenced-in yard, by reputation
and scent when they aren't present. Everything else is
fair game.

Not all dogs are good for this purpose. When the male dog
was younger he decided to go after a deer. The deer realized
he was about five times the size of the dog and predator-prey
relationship notwithstanding gave chase.

--
John Carr )

Old 14-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Michigan

JS, we feed the deer year around in our back yard about 50 feet from my vegetable garden. I string twine or wire between fence posts and tie CD's in it. Keeps the deer away. I usually grow a morning glory on the posts to help the looks. You have to use wire through the CD hole because it cuts string. I also hang CD's on my fruit trees. Looks like Christmas all year long!! LOL But it works for me! Keeps them out of my strawberries to.
Hope this helps.