Old 09-07-2008, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default In Country Life this week

Roddy Llewellyn describes the Judith Lea method of killing off bindweed by
either growing it up a support and then spraying it or stuffing its ends
into a plastic bag and spraying them. He also talks of that wonderful
little plant Erigeron karvinskianus and describes how Prince Peter Wolkonsky
had it all over the place in his garden in France and used to swear by
rolling the seeds into tiny clay balls and stuffing them into cracks in
walls and paving. I'm sure I've told that story of Ray's on here but with
the addition that he did the same in other peoples' gardens. It was his
favourite plant. Perhaps RL reads urg for inspiration! ;-)
Something I hadn't heard of before is that weather watchers swear this
year's weather is so terrible because 2007 had 13 full moons in it, not 12!
;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-07-2008, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 14:15:21 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

Roddy Llewellyn describes the Judith Lea method of killing off bindweed by
either growing it up a support and then spraying it or stuffing its ends
into a plastic bag and spraying them.

Fame at last for Judith, eh :-)

He also talks of that wonderful
little plant Erigeron karvinskianus

snip

One of our favourite little plants, and it seeds itself everywhere. We have
it growing in pots, but also in the gravel by the front porch. I love the
way the flowers change colour as it ages.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 09-07-2008, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

It's only the last week or so that's been bad though compared to last year,
don't you think?

Old 09-07-2008, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/7/08 16:30, in article , "Robert
(Plymouth)" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I have the impression it's been a lot wetter even than last year - might be
wrong. I keep saying I'm going to keep a weather diary and I never do.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/7/08 21:53, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 9/7/08 16:30, in article ,
"Robert
(Plymouth)" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Roddy Llewellyn describes the Judith Lea method of killing off bindweed
by
either growing it up a support and then spraying it or stuffing its ends
into a plastic bag and spraying them. He also talks of that wonderful
little plant Erigeron karvinskianus and describes how Prince Peter
Wolkonsky
had it all over the place in his garden in France and used to swear by
rolling the seeds into tiny clay balls and stuffing them into cracks in
walls and paving. I'm sure I've told that story of Ray's on here but
with
the addition that he did the same in other peoples' gardens. It was his
favourite plant. Perhaps RL reads urg for inspiration! ;-)

Ah, so that's what it's called. I had to google it to find what you were
talking about. We saw it sticking out of every crack in the walls of
Shillingstone (IIRC) when we were visiting gardens there, and nicked a bit.
Now it's all over our garden. It's a smashing cheerful little plant that
needs no attention. Gardening doesn't get much better than that. :-))

Steve

I apologise! I had meant to add on Spanish Daisy or Mexican Fleabane - got
interrupted halfway through and forgot to do it. It's a wonder - another
mega-favourite with us.