Old 04-05-2005, 04:46 PM
FardinA

Default My lawn is still not green

Hi There,
I have laid my grass last spring, and the results were fine to some
extent. I had thick grass in my fron yard and back yard. However, on
sides, the grass was not thinck enough.
Weather is warming up slowly here in Alberta, Canada (14-16 C in day
time). However, my grass mainly stays yellow. The worst part is the
sides where I can barely see any green grass. My neighbor's grass is
thick and green. His grass is very green and thick on the side of his
house, but mine (which is adjacent to his grass) is not at all. I asked
him if he used any speacial type of grass. He just used fertilizer in
the fall, and so do I. I used even fertilizer just three weeks back.
I don't know what's wrong with my grass. If it's the weather, then why
my neighbour's grass is much better than mine?
I appreciate if you can let me know of your feedback.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:53 PM
AutoTracer

Do you know what kind of grass you planted. Your neighbor either has a
different kind of grass or there is a substantial difference in his soil,
watering schedule or fertilizer he uses.

I'm not sure what is the best grass for your area. Best way to find out is
to call a sod broker and ask what grows best and greens up soonest for your
location. You can probably overseed this year and if done evenly, shouldn't
look patchy.

How about lighting. Does your lawn get at least 4 hours of direct sun per
day? Do you have overhanging trees in the thin areas?

Is your soil overcompacted perhaps from walking along the edge. Did you
ammend and till the soil before planting the new grass or just scratch the
surface of the compacted earth.

My front yard suffers from thinning on the front edge due to a slight slope
that draind the water too fast and the fact that I used less than the ideal
grass; bluegrass looks great when healthy but it is hard to maintain.

oups.com...