Old 04-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Roger Moss

Default Provence/Italian Cypresses

Three years ago we planted two 1.7m Cupressus Sempervirens Stricta in our
garden here in western France. They are now at 3m and growing well, but
their form is a little ragged - not at all what we had hoped for from this
classic feature of the landscapes and gardens of Provence and Northern
Italy.

Specifically, although we're aware that new growth is expected to be soft
and droopy, only straightening as it matures, even the most mature lower
side shoots are far from erect, spoiling the overall effect.

Has anyone had this kind of problem, and/or have any suggestions as to a
possible course of action to tighten up the trees' ragged outlines? Or will
it fix itself in time?

Suggestions, please.

RM