Old 18-03-2005, 04:32 AM
Walter R.

Default Problem with Italian Cypresses

I have a row of 16 Italian Cypresses, 25 years old and 50 feet tall.

I recently noticed that the upper ranges of several trees show bald areas
where you can actually see the trunk.

Would anyone know what is going on? Location is Southern California. Would
hate to cut these beautiful trees down!

Take a look: http://home.san.rr.com/iconoclast/

Thanks

--

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

Old 18-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter R.
I have a row of 16 Italian Cypresses, 25 years old and 50 feet tall.

I recently noticed that the upper ranges of several trees show bald areas where you can actually see the trunk.

Would anyone know what is going on? Location is Southern California. Would hate to cut these beautiful trees down!

Take a look: http://home.san.rr.com/iconoclast/

Thanks
Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net
Hi Walter,

Great photo. Italian cypress are very prone to root rot from poor drainage. If the soil is soggy, that could be part of the cause. If you can, look to see if sap is running down the trunk as there have been problems with a disease called canker in California. You might find this an interesting read even though it's from 2001. I don't agree with the recommended chemicals for the spider mite. There are other more environmentally friendly solutions (no pun intended).
http://www.arboristsite.com/archive/...php/t-104.html

From this site:
http://www.mastergardeners.org/tips/april.html

"Cypress Tree, Canker

Quite a few questions have come in about this fungus disease. It kills or disfigures many species of cypress all over California. The symptoms are the yellowing, fading, and death of individual twigs, branches, or tops of affected trees. Eventually spreading through the entire tree and killing it. Death can occur any season, but most often during warm months. As the disease progresses, the fungus begins to attack the living bark and cambium. Resinous lesions or cankers form, with heavy resin flow (less flow from old or slow growing trees) from the edges of the canker. The cypress bark moth often invades the borders of the cankers where they excrete large quantities of a reddish brown frass and stimulates even more resin flow. The only area in the state that does not have this disease is a narrow coastal band fronted by the Pacific Ocean. Italian, Leyland, and Monterey Cypresses are the most susceptible. Remove diseased branches and destroy. Spray wounds with a fungicide. Preventative spraying of a fungicide like Benomyl after the first fall rain can be helpful."

You might also be able to get some information from your local extension service.
http://cvr.ucdavis.edu/

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 18-03-2005, 09:45 PM
michael

Walter,

I know what I would do here in Florida- get in touch with the County
Hort Agent. Those guys are smart and will look at it for free. There
might be a Master Gardener program in your county- look for it.

I find that the County Extension Office is very under-utilized, and
full of very smart people. I use their expertise in my practice [I am a
landscape architect].

Michael