Old 09-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Ablang

Default Sulfate of Ammonia?

Is this basically the same fertilizer that people use on their
lawns, or in addition to regular fertilizer? Is this the product that
people use to keep their lawn green every 2-3 months? Or does regular
lawn fertilizer do the job?

===
"Until last October, Christ had a very limited involvement in my life. I believed in God; I just never had to prove I believed. Belief is an absence of proof."
-- Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling
Old 09-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Betty Harris

Do you mean ammonium sulfate, (NH4)2SO4? If so, ammonium sulfate is
21% nitrogen, but the sulfur in it really acidifies the soil. It can
be a component of a blended fertilizer, but can be purchased separately
if you really want it.

If you have fescue, bluegrass or ryegrass for a lawn I don't think you
want to be applying this stuff every 2-3 months. You could apply 2 to
4 pounds of ammonium sulfate per 1,000 square feet in April or early
May, and then 12 pounds per 1,000 square feet in October or November.

If you have bermudagrass, yes, you can apply about 2 to 4 pounds every
month from April to early August. If you have St. Augustine, don't
apply more than 6 pounds of ammonium sulfate in an entire year or you
will get St. Augustine Decline (that's a disease). If you have zoysia,
forget it because zoysia doens't need much care anyway.

Your friend,
Betty

Old 09-05-2005, 06:57 PM
David Ross

Ablang wrote:

Is this basically the same fertilizer that people use on their
lawns, or in addition to regular fertilizer? Is this the product that
people use to keep their lawn green every 2-3 months? Or does regular
lawn fertilizer do the job?

Ammonium sulfate is acidic and used primarily where the soils are
alkaline (e.g., in my own garden).

It will give a lawn a quick green-up but can burn the lawn if not
applied carefully. If the grass blades are not dry or if the
ammonium sulfate is not immediately rinsed into the soil, you can
kill the foliage. Also, if too much is applied, you can kill the
roots.

I use it primarily on shrubs and perennials. My roses and gardenia
love it. For my lawn, I use an off-brand or generic lawn food,
which dissolves more slowly and is less likely to burn.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean