Old 09-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Boots

Default tree mounting

I have to use a tree to mount a yard light. I there a safe
way to mount to a tree that will not harm the tree?

Old 10-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Arborsmith

Boots wrote:
I have to use a tree to mount a yard light. I there a safe
way to mount to a tree that will not harm the tree?

Lag bolts can be used after drilling a hole a little smaller than the
bolt. When drilling the holes don't let the bit stop at all or it will
get stuck due to water pressure. Expect the trees cambium to begin to
swallow the mount and then the lamp, eventually if left long enough the
whole lamp will be swallowed by the tree.
Trees have to deal with having dead wood inside them all the time the
metal of the bolts is no problem.
Attach the lamp in anyway but don't wrap anything around the tree.

Good luck,
Richard
http://www.arborsmith.com

Old 10-05-2005, 03:28 AM
David Ross

Arborsmith wrote:

Boots wrote:
I have to use a tree to mount a yard light. I there a safe
way to mount to a tree that will not harm the tree?

Lag bolts can be used after drilling a hole a little smaller than the
bolt. When drilling the holes don't let the bit stop at all or it will
get stuck due to water pressure. Expect the trees cambium to begin to
swallow the mount and then the lamp, eventually if left long enough the
whole lamp will be swallowed by the tree.
Trees have to deal with having dead wood inside them all the time the
metal of the bolts is no problem.
Attach the lamp in anyway but don't wrap anything around the tree.

Don't tighten the bolts all the way. Leave a little slack. Check
the slack about once every 2-3 months. When you see that the tree
has grown enough to eliminate the slack, back the bolts out a
little.

Similarly, leave and maintain slack for the conduit.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.

[IMG] code is On

mounting on wood Dustin Orchids 21 19-10-2004 02:48 AM
Cork Mounting Question Wendy Orchids 6 30-07-2004 04:25 PM
Mounting on Palm Pods? Diana Kulaga Orchids 2 27-12-2003 10:40 PM
Need sources for "mounting" media like cork, fiber or wood Hal Tess Orchids 5 22-10-2003 02:23 PM
Mounting a Den lindleyi (aggregatum) PIETER ZUYDERVLIET Orchids 0 28-01-2003 12:22 AM