Old 14-05-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Getting rid of sporadic weeds on my lawn.

How do i get rid of weeds that are sporadically on my yard. Roundup and
Ortho would kill the grass also which is what i don't want. Which are
reliable ones that don't kill the grass also? Also, do they come in
granuled or seed type weed killer as opposed to liquid ones. I need to
get rid of these weeds. I tried Scott's Bonus S and it doesn't seem to
work. Also, i think it created some weird looking plant growing out of
the ground looking like a leaf. Thanks

Old 14-05-2005, 07:16 PM
raycruzer

There are a number of very precise weed removal tools that are designed
to work on lawns and also have long handles to save your back. For
deep tap roots, like those of the dandelion, you need a tool like a
weed twister. There are several weed twisters on the market with
different designs and made by different manufacturers. The most
efficient weed twister is the one made by Ergonica.

Ray
Talk about weeds: World of Weeds www.ergonica.com

Old 16-05-2005, 09:22 PM
SedumQueen

If you want to use spray, I recommend one of the weed killer
concentrates that doesn't harm the lawn. There are several out there.
I've had best results using the concentrate with a sprayer. I don't
recommend the granules uless it's pre-emergent.

Old 17-05-2005, 05:48 PM

We can hand pull them out if our lawn is very small and the number of
weeds are few.

We can use a hand pump sprayer to spray selective herbicide that kills
weeds but not the lawn grass if our lawn is not that small and the
number of weeds are still few.

We can use a hose-end sprayer to spray selective herbicide if our lawn
is not that small and the weeds are many.

The decision of which method to use is influented by the limited amount
of time we can spend on weeding. Hand pulling weeds is fine for a small
area and a few weeds. But we just cannot hand pull weeds when there are
a large number of them. For the same token, pump spraying selective
herbicide is fine for a small number of weeds; but this is still too
time consuming if the area of the lawn has many weeds; in that case, we
may need to use a hose-end sprayer.

I use the combination of the methods mentioned above to take care of
weeds in my not so small lawn:
- When I walk around my yard enjoying the view, I occasionally stop
and pull some weeds out, especially in area very close to plants that I
want to keep because I am afraid that spraying selective herbicide near
those plants may kill them by mistake.
- In one area where there is a lot of weeds, I use a hose-end sprayer
to cover a large area in a short time.
- In most areas in my lawn, I use a hand pump sprayer to take care of
the weeds.

At the end of the warm season and if we still see some weeds here and
there, we can just leave them alone. They probably will die out when
the cold weather come assuming that we are in cold climate.

The best way is to help the lawn along to make them growing thick to
crowd out the weeds. But this doesn't work that well for me (the soil
is not that great in an area where there is a lot of weeds); therefore,
I am very hesistate to suggest this. I would prefer other people to
give you this suggestion with their success stories. Hope you have a
better luck with the "growing thick lawn to crowd out weeds" approach.

Jay Chan