Old 15-05-2005, 08:01 PM
The other Mike

Default Question about Leyland growth

Had some leylands planted last year which went into shock pretty much
right away. We lost alot of the growth at the lower part of the tree.
We also lost some more growth this year due to what I hope is just a
lack of water issue. My question is...what happens to all that growth
that was lost at the bottom of the tree? We cut off all the dead
branches and now it's pretty bare at the bottom....do new branches or
leaves grow back? Or is this the way the trees are going to stay now?

Also...if in fact I did have a lack of water issue (still not
sure)....what signs can I look for that it's working or not? And how
long until I notice some kind of improvement? (the green was slowly
turning brown). Do those 1/2 brown leaves now become green again or
do they continue to just die off?

Sorry for all the questions...obviously very new to this.
Old 16-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Jack

There have been a few posts on Leylands over the last week or so (by me).
I bought 24 at Home Depot last year, and took 18 of them back this weekend.
Depending on where you are, they seem to be very disease prone. Mine
succumbed to some sort of needle blight, and they never came back.

Sorry to hear about your plants.

"The other Mike" wrote in message
Had some leylands planted last year which went into shock pretty much
right away. We lost alot of the growth at the lower part of the tree.
We also lost some more growth this year due to what I hope is just a
lack of water issue. My question is...what happens to all that growth
that was lost at the bottom of the tree? We cut off all the dead
branches and now it's pretty bare at the bottom....do new branches or
leaves grow back? Or is this the way the trees are going to stay now?

Also...if in fact I did have a lack of water issue (still not
sure)....what signs can I look for that it's working or not? And how
long until I notice some kind of improvement? (the green was slowly
turning brown). Do those 1/2 brown leaves now become green again or
do they continue to just die off?

Sorry for all the questions...obviously very new to this.

[IMG] code is On

Pond growth and non-growth Phyllis and Jim[_2_] Ponds (moderated) 16 07-03-2008 07:48 PM
Newbie leyland question Mike Gardening 2 02-05-2004 10:02 PM
Why good plant growth= bad algae growth [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 22-02-2004 10:53 PM
Why good plant growth= bad algae growth [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 22-02-2004 03:38 AM
Why good plant growth= bad algae growth [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 22-02-2004 03:38 AM