Old 02-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Mike

Default Newbie leyland question

We recently (about a week ago) had some 12' leyland cyprus trees
planted as a screen between us and our neighbor. Unfortunately, the
landscaper who planted them didn't leave any instructions on care and
I'm having trouble finding them online. Any advice from people in
here would be appreciated. We live in southern NJ. Some tips are
turning brown...is this normal? Or is this from over or under
watering?

Also....while looking for care tips for these trees I came across a
bunch of posts basically ripping Leylands and stating to never plant
them anywhere near a house...needless to say I'm a little concerned.
Our neighbor's house is about 80' directly behind us and we planted a
row of 5 trees between us as a screen...they've been planted about 10'
apart center to center. Are these going to grow too large for this
area? Can they be easily controlled by pruning? Any help/advice
would be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:04 PM
David J Bockman

10' on center is a very good spacing.

Until the root systems get established, they'll need supplemental watering
for the first year. They're fairly trouble free, with occassional attacks of
bagworm if they are too dry. Tips should not be browing out, no.

Dave

Old 02-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Leylands can do well in our area. The browning is almost certainly a
low-grade winter burn. You should be OK with the size vs. the area you've
described. lack of instructions is unfortunately par-for-the-course IMO. I
am in Toms River NJ. You can email off my website with questions.
Mike
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Question about Leyland growth The other Mike Gardening 1 16-05-2005 02:04 PM
Newbie needs leyland advice Mike Gardening 2 04-04-2005 11:22 AM
Propogating Leyland Cypress... TakeThisOut Gardening 2 02-04-2003 04:56 PM
leyland cypress HI HI- Gardening 0 24-03-2003 12:20 AM
leyland cypress Mark or Travis Gardening 13 23-03-2003 04:44 PM