Old 18-05-2005, 07:22 PM
jeffrey lohn

Default squirrels & new lawn; Help!!

we laid a new mini-citi-backyard lawn(with sod) about 6 weeks ago...
it's great!! but squirrells are digging holes in it every day.
it's such a small lawn that if this keeps up, alas, our lawn will
disappear.
any suggestions to deal with this greatly appreciated...
Old 18-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Doug Kanter

"jeffrey lohn" wrote in message
we laid a new mini-citi-backyard lawn(with sod) about 6 weeks ago...
it's great!! but squirrells are digging holes in it every day.
it's such a small lawn that if this keeps up, alas, our lawn will
disappear.
any suggestions to deal with this greatly appreciated...

Throw lots of peanuts into your neighbors' yards. :-)

Old 19-05-2005, 12:19 AM
jeffrey lohn

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"jeffrey lohn" wrote in message
we laid a new mini-citi-backyard lawn(with sod) about 6 weeks ago...
it's great!! but squirrells are digging holes in it every day.
it's such a small lawn that if this keeps up, alas, our lawn will
disappear.
any suggestions to deal with this greatly appreciated...

Throw lots of peanuts into your neighbors' yards. :-)

i might just do that given that the neighbors left and right have no
grass to be dug up(so i wouldn't be exporting my problem to them)
Old 19-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

"jeffrey lohn" wrote in message
we laid a new mini-citi-backyard lawn(with sod) about 6 weeks ago...
it's great!! but squirrells are digging holes in it every day.
it's such a small lawn that if this keeps up, alas, our lawn will
disappear.
any suggestions to deal with this greatly appreciated...

Throw lots of peanuts into your neighbors' yards. :-)

i might just do that given that the neighbors left and right have no
grass to be dug up(so i wouldn't be exporting my problem to them)

Another option is to get a Havahart trap, bait it with crackers & peanut
butter, catch the little beasties, and drive them to a park. Be sure to put
some corrugated cardboard under the trap when you put it in the car.
Squirrels have lots of claws, and they'll shred whatever's under the cage.

Of course, this is temporary, since other squirrels will soon move into the
vacated territory, but if you continue the trapping, it might buy you the
couple of months you need for the lawn to get tough enough to be
un-diggable.

By the way, practice at opening the trap from behind and taking 3 steps
backward, quickly. Squirrels get really ****ed off. My experience is that
really don't attack you, but I've seen one or two jump on top of the trap so
fast that your hand gets caught in the action.

Old 20-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

If you are going to throw peanuts, be sure they aren't in their cases as those will get buried. Use hulled/shelled peanuts. Another option would be to feed them hulled sunflower seeds. The birds will like it too and no hulls to make a mess. If the squirrels have something to eat, they won't be digging in your garden.

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 22-05-2005, 03:25 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

If you feed them peanuts IN the shell, they will bury them as the shell protects the peanuts. If you either break the shells in half or give them peanuts that have no shell, they will eat them and leave your plants and bulbs alone. They don't bury the shelled peanuts.

Newt