Old 20-05-2005, 05:01 PM
dsultan

Default Unknown Trees in Front Yard! Help!

I have just begun preparing my yard for the summertime. I was out
yesterday and I noticed 6-7 very small trees beginning to grow
throughout the yard- probably 2-4 in tall- but I don't know what they
are. They look like small "christmas" trees, with fir-like needles. I
don't think they are pine trees, as we have none in the general area
of our subdivision. During the holidays I had the christmas tree
outside laying down on the lawn for a bit- before and after
Christmas.

My questions:

Could these small trees have come from the tree we had at Christmas?

What can I do to take care of the ones I'd like to see grow?

How can I find out more about what I have there?

Thanks for the help!

Old 20-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Travis

dsultan wrote:
I have just begun preparing my yard for the summertime. I was out
yesterday and I noticed 6-7 very small trees beginning to grow
throughout the yard- probably 2-4 in tall- but I don't know what
they are. They look like small "christmas" trees, with fir-like
needles. I don't think they are pine trees, as we have none in the
general area of our subdivision. During the holidays I had the
christmas tree outside laying down on the lawn for a bit- before
and after Christmas.

My questions:

Could these small trees have come from the tree we had at Christmas?

No.

What can I do to take care of the ones I'd like to see grow?

Let Mother Nature do her thing.

How can I find out more about what I have there?

Read.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 20-05-2005, 10:02 PM
SedumQueen

The birds can carry seeds from other areas and deposit them in your
yard. Those may be some type of cypress or juniper. If you like them,
leave them and see what happens.

Old 20-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Travis

SedumQueen wrote:
The birds can carry seeds from other areas and deposit them in your
yard. Those may be some type of cypress or juniper. If you like
them, leave them and see what happens.

How can you call them cypress or juniper? The OP did not provide any
description of the things growing. They might not even be trees.

I hate to say it again but something smells fishy.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 21-05-2005, 05:23 AM
SedumQueen

How can you call them cypress or juniper? The OP did not provide any
description of the things growing.

Yes they did. Dsultan said that "They look like small "christmas"
trees, with fir-like needles". What else looks like a small Christmas
Tree with fir-like needles other than a cypress or juniper type plant?

Old 21-05-2005, 07:39 AM
presley

there are deciduous plants that resemble miniature fir trees- some are
ground covers, some are weeds......
usually, but not always, their stems (trunk) will be green rather than
brown. A real firs trunk would be brown , even a very young seedling.

Old 21-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Cereus-validus.....

How can you get away with calling yourself the Sedum Queen?

Would you know the difference between Hylotelephium and Sedum even if one
bit you on the butt?

oups.com...

Old 26-05-2005, 09:10 PM
raycruzer

More information or an image is needed to identify your new trees.

There are over 200 weed and plant identification web sites that are
listed by region on the World of Weeds web site at www.ergonica.com.

Some of these web sites allow for quick searches by plant features,
instead of looking by name or images alone.

Trees can be weeds, too, if they're not in the place you want them to
be.

Best of luck in your wild tree identification quest.

Ray
Talk about weeds: World of Weeds www.ergonica.com

Old 14-06-2005, 02:32 AM
Suzy O

To a newbie gardener, horsetail can certainly look like a small christmas
tree.

Suzy, zone 5, Wisc.

Old 14-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Lindakay

snipped How can you get away with calling yourself the Sedum Queen?

Would you know the difference between Hylotelephium and Sedum even if
one
bit you on the butt? cut

Your reply is Off Topic. Be nice and say so in the subject line.
Lindakay