Old 31-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Jon von Leipzig

nina wrote:
Some photos I have taken of some orchids and other tropical plants.

http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/porchids.html

Kewl Stuff :-)

I wouldn't know an orchid from a petunia.

If all those pictured are orchids, why does the purple one look
different from the one tied to a tree....??

Just bein' nosy....
Any neighbors/friends have any success growing fruit trees of any kind...??

Old 31-05-2005, 04:52 PM

Jon von Leipzig wrote:

nina wrote:
Some photos I have taken of some orchids and other tropical plants.

http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/porchids.html

Kewl Stuff :-)

I wouldn't know an orchid from a petunia.

If all those pictured are orchids, why does the purple one look
different from the one tied to a tree....??

Cause it hasn't been struggling to get away for a week?

Free the Orchids!

Old 31-05-2005, 06:06 PM
The Real Bev

Jon von Leipzig wrote:

nina wrote:
Some photos I have taken of some orchids and other tropical plants.

http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/porchids.html

Kewl Stuff :-)

I wouldn't know an orchid from a petunia.

If all those pictured are orchids, why does the purple one look
different from the one tied to a tree....??

Because there are lots and lots of different orchids. Many are clearly alien
life forms pretending to be pretty or interesting flowers until their numbers
are sufficient to allow them to take over the earth and eat whatever humans
manage to survive the final battle.

Just bein' nosy....
Any neighbors/friends have any success growing fruit trees of any kind...??

Some people in SoCal (yard sale giver's neighbors, unfortunately not
horticulturally sophisticated) have fruiting papaya trees and some tropical
fruit tree that I don't recognize. The fruit was green, about the size of a
mango but with pointed ends, and clustered around the central stem. Leaves
were kind of palm-frondy, sprouting from the top of the tree, but otherwise
not at all like palm fronds. Definitely not mangos -- I've seen mango trees
in Mexico.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old 31-05-2005, 10:30 PM
nina

Jon von Leipzig wrote:
nina wrote:
Some photos I have taken of some orchids and other tropical plants.

http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/porchids.html

Kewl Stuff :-)

I wouldn't know an orchid from a petunia.

If all those pictured are orchids, why does the purple one look
different from the one tied to a tree....??

Same reason there are minroses, hybrid teas, climbers, etc.
I believe all the ones I took pics of are vandas. Took me a while to
figure it out since I know nada de orchids. But they grow outdoors here
in full sun, so I deduced that they are all vandas. (vandaceous
orchids) The ones that have full leaves are "strap leaved" the ones
with fat tubular leaves are "terete leaved". The terete leaved ones
take more sun than the others which appreciate a bit of shade.
Im sure I got some stuff wrong and left out some stuff, but thats
basically all I know.
I have a dendrobium on my desk, it likes shade and I had a phalenopsis,
but I rotted its roots. So damned humid here that my books and
potpourri and stuff are MOLDING!!!!!!!

Just bein' nosy....
Any neighbors/friends have any success growing fruit trees of any kind...??

Fruit trees all over. I have a chironja- a hybrid of china (orange) and
toronha (grapefruit). [Why china? China-orange mandarina-tangerine
Makes some kinda sense] I also have a guanabana tree. Both are about 3
feet tall, buthe chironja has teeny lil fruits.

My SIL has chironja, jobos,guayaba (guava) and limes in her backyard.
My MIL has chironja and avocado. Big fat giant creamy ones. I dont eat
them, but I wish I did. Thats how good they are.

Mango trees all over there is one at an empty house down the street.I
intend to snatch up a bunch when the get ripe.

Old 31-05-2005, 10:35 PM
nina

The Real Bev wrote:
Jon von Leipzig wrote:

nina wrote:
[...]

Pana? (Breadfruit?)

http://www.islandmon.com/RinCam/panatree.jpg

Old 01-06-2005, 05:49 AM
The Real Bev

nina wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
Jon von Leipzig wrote:
nina wrote:
[...]

Could be, if there was a cluster of the fruits circling the trunk. Somehow I
remember the leaves as pointier, with the leaflets much less spread out.

I looked all through he http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/ but couldn't
find it. Not a wasted trip, though -- what a LOT of wonderful fruit the world
produces! I've got a loquat tree growing from seed, but the damn thing is
perhaps 5 years old and shows no sign of producing flowers, much less fruit.
Still, it's an OK looking tree.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old 01-06-2005, 11:08 AM
pmo3ws

Hi Nina,
I really enjoyed your site! I also took with me some tips for the
roses. My daughter sent me 3 minature roses for Mother's Day this year,
and one is doing wonderful, while the other two are not. I did notice
that spider webs were forming on the two plants that aren't doing well
so I sprayed them in the sink. Hopefully that will do the trick...
Good luck with your patio too!
Kathy

Old 01-06-2005, 04:04 PM
nina

pmo3ws wrote:
Hi Nina,
I really enjoyed your site! I also took with me some tips for the
roses. My daughter sent me 3 minature roses for Mother's Day this year,
and one is doing wonderful, while the other two are not. I did notice
that spider webs were forming on the two plants that aren't doing well
so I sprayed them in the sink. Hopefully that will do the trick...
Good luck with your patio too!
Kathy

Thanks, I am glad you like it!

Old 02-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Jon von Leipzig

nina wrote:

Jon von Leipzig wrote:

nina wrote:

If all those pictured are orchids, why does the purple one look
different from the one tied to a tree....??

Same reason there are minroses, hybrid teas, climbers, etc.
I believe all the ones I took pics of are vandas. Took me a while to
figure it out since I know nada de orchids. But they grow outdoors here
in full sun, so I deduced that they are all vandas. (vandaceous
orchids) The ones that have full leaves are "strap leaved" the ones
with fat tubular leaves are "terete leaved". The terete leaved ones
take more sun than the others which appreciate a bit of shade.
Im sure I got some stuff wrong and left out some stuff, but thats
basically all I know.

Oh..ok...makes sense...I think...

Just bein' nosy....
Any neighbors/friends have any success growing fruit trees of any kind...??

Fruit trees all over. I have a chironja- a hybrid of china (orange) and
toronha (grapefruit). [Why china? China-orange mandarina-tangerine
Makes some kinda sense] I also have a guanabana tree. Both are about 3
feet tall, buthe chironja has teeny lil fruits.

My SIL has chironja, jobos,guayaba (guava) and limes in her backyard.
My MIL has chironja and avocado. Big fat giant creamy ones. I dont eat
them, but I wish I did. Thats how good they are.

Mango trees all over there is one at an empty house down the street.I
intend to snatch up a bunch when the get ripe.

oh my....sounds like a tropical paradise...except for the humidery...

guanabana tree,,,,,,mini-bananas..??
Old 02-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Jon von Leipzig

Jon von Leipzig wrote:

nina wrote:

Some photos I have taken of some orchids and other tropical plants.

http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/porchids.html

Kewl Stuff :-)

I wouldn't know an orchid from a petunia.

If all those pictured are orchids, why does the purple one look
different from the one tied to a tree....??

Cause it hasn't been struggling to get away for a week?

Free the Orchids!

Tee Hee!! Good Wun!

checking phone book....for SPCO: Society for Prevention of Cruelty to
Orchids