Old 03-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Jacqueline Cahoon

Default Mulch & reseeding annuals

I have some neglected beds that are badly in need of weed control &
mulch. I want to lay down newspaper (working around the plants that
are supposed to be there), then cover with mulch. However, I'm
concerned about the whether the annuals/biennials (we're talking
nigella, foxgloves, & columbines) will reseed. Wiil the seeds
germinate in mulch? And will the newspaper break down enough by next
year for the plants to develop roots? Anybody have any other
suggestions?
Old 04-06-2005, 02:36 AM
simy1

the newspaper will certainly disappear. Use a mulch (like leaves) that
will disappear in a year as well, and you will be set for next year.
You will still get weeds... if I were you, I'd use wood newspaper and
wood chips, and collect the seeds by hand to start as seedlings.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:22 AM
presley

I did this last year with a bed that was getting overrun by grass. I did
have some annual reseeding - not as heavy as previous years, but enough to
supply color later this summer. In this case, the reseeding annuals that
seem to be successful in putting down roots through decaying newspaper are
cosmos, shirley poppies, and california poppies. A few lavatera squeaked
through, and one or two others species, but the above seemed the most
determined. I'm very pleased though to have cut down on the weeds - although
I did some additional spraying with grass-b-gone to get the grass that
sprouted between sections of newspaper.
"Jacqueline Cahoon" wrote in message
I have some neglected beds that are badly in need of weed control &
mulch. I want to lay down newspaper (working around the plants that
are supposed to be there), then cover with mulch. However, I'm
concerned about the whether the annuals/biennials (we're talking
nigella, foxgloves, & columbines) will reseed. Wiil the seeds
germinate in mulch? And will the newspaper break down enough by next
year for the plants to develop roots? Anybody have any other
suggestions?

[IMG] code is On

Reseeding Ni North Carolina 1 10-11-2004 06:13 PM
Reseeding Patchy Lawn - Advice Needed David Gibson United Kingdom 8 24-05-2004 12:09 AM
reseeding annuals Jacqueline Gardening 6 17-05-2004 09:09 PM
reseeding lawn Ni North Carolina 9 12-03-2004 04:02 AM
broadleaf weed killer and reseeding lawn Dee Gardening 3 09-08-2003 02:32 AM