Old 07-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Tony Pacc

Default Mulch?

Is there any kind of wood mulch I can use for flower beds along side of my
house,last year I used some mulch that gave me black tiny spots on my white
vinyl siding(artillery fungus),I dont want to make the same mistake again
Thanks

Old 07-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Doug Kanter

It all depends on lots of factors, like weather, and how much sun or shade
you've got in a particular spot, but I've used shredded cedar mulch for
years without seeing fungus. Another option is grass clippings collected
with a bag attachment on your mower, if it's got that option. Put down an
inch or two of grass, not in thick clumps, but sprinkled loosely. It'll turn
brown pretty quickly and blend right in. Keep it away from tiny seedlings,
if you're sprouting any seeds.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Vox Humana

"Tony Pacc" wrote in message
Is there any kind of wood mulch I can use for flower beds along side of my
house,last year I used some mulch that gave me black tiny spots on my

white
vinyl siding(artillery fungus),I dont want to make the same mistake again
Thanks

Maybe there was no cause and effect relationship between the spots and
mulch. I get mildew spots on my sidings and also some green algae. Last
year was worse than usual. Perhaps it was the weather and not the mulch.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Ann

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

Right. But, nobody should be using those anyway.

Using what, grass clippings? Other than not being very attractive in
a flower garden, there's nothing wrong with using them, I use them all
the time in my veggie garden.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 08-06-2005, 04:54 AM
Doug Kanter

"Ann" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" expounded:

Right. But, nobody should be using those anyway.

Using what, grass clippings? Other than not being very attractive in
a flower garden, there's nothing wrong with using them, I use them all
the time in my veggie garden.

I was referring to herbicides. I'm the one who suggested grass clippings,
silly. :-)

Old 08-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Ann

"Doug Kanter" expounded:

"Ann" wrote in message
.. .
"Doug Kanter" expounded:

Right. But, nobody should be using those anyway.

Using what, grass clippings? Other than not being very attractive in
a flower garden, there's nothing wrong with using them, I use them all
the time in my veggie garden.

I was referring to herbicides. I'm the one who suggested grass clippings,
silly. :-)

Sorry, I'm reading too fast and not noticing the attributions. Of
course you suggested them! And yes, no one shouldbe using herbicides
on their lawn.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked

[IMG] code is On

To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 09:19 AM
To Mulch or Not to Mulch Ron H Gardening 6 13-08-2006 09:06 PM
Lawn grass mulch Ann Edible Gardening 4 02-03-2003 06:27 PM
Leaf Mulch Kurt Gardening 8 06-02-2003 10:25 AM
[IBC] mulch as soil Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 1 04-02-2003 01:15 AM