Old 09-06-2005, 01:09 AM
JJ

Default Hostas-good time to split?

Is there a right or wrong time to split large hostas into smaller sections
and replant?

Thanks,

Old 09-06-2005, 04:54 AM
Stu Pittasso

In my experience, hostas are pretty tough to kill. I've divided and abused
them in the dead heat of summer, only to have them come back bigger and
better the next year. I suppose the ideal time to split would probably be
springtime when the leaves are still rolled up, but I wouldnt worry too
much.

. com...

Old 10-06-2005, 02:13 AM
Gary

Some of my hostas got "split" by default when my neighbor put in a new
fence. During the construction, some of them lay on the ground and
others lived in a plastic tub with inconsistent watering for about a
month. They also got some over-spray from the wood preservative that my
neighbor applied to his new fence. I replanted them after the fence
was done, and they are doing just fine. They act like nothing
happened! Prior to this, I had no idea that hostas were so tough!

[IMG] code is On

Best time to split firewood? Frank Logullo Gardening 4 20-10-2004 03:14 PM
Strawberries in tub split?? [email protected] United Kingdom 5 03-07-2003 08:42 AM
Split tree trunk bthache Gardening 1 30-05-2003 04:09 PM
Plantex CSM split..... used in making PMDD Cannibul Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:20 AM