Old 15-06-2005, 03:34 AM
PatK

Checked out some photos online, looks like a match. Even found one
showing the tiny leaves sprouting from the crotches. Although almost
all the pictures show red stems. The seedling pictures I found look
like the smaller weeds I am pulling out in bunches out back. It was a
new one this year... hadn't seen that seedling type before.

I can't be bothered with cooking it for greens--have to cook them as
they are poisonous raw and/or when mature. Out it comes.

Thanks to all...

If you all had listened to me, I told you at beginning it was pokeweed.
G It sprouted a huge tree thingy in my yard last year and I've been
seeing it sprouting here and there this year. It's a pain in the butt!

Pat
Old 16-06-2005, 03:44 AM
DigitalVinyl

PatK wrote:

Checked out some photos online, looks like a match. Even found one
showing the tiny leaves sprouting from the crotches. Although almost
all the pictures show red stems. The seedling pictures I found look
like the smaller weeds I am pulling out in bunches out back. It was a
new one this year... hadn't seen that seedling type before.

I can't be bothered with cooking it for greens--have to cook them as
they are poisonous raw and/or when mature. Out it comes.

Thanks to all...

If you all had listened to me, I told you at beginning it was pokeweed.
G It sprouted a huge tree thingy in my yard last year and I've been
seeing it sprouting here and there this year. It's a pain in the butt!

Pat

Yes, Pat, you were right. :-)

Although I find it interesting that different weeds show up each year.
THis is a first for pokeweed in three years. I have pulled over a
dozen of a tree...the seed looks like a chestnut (five fingered light
green leaves with red blotches in the leaf). The squirrels have
apparently buried them in all of my vegetable beds. I know cause they
were sifted with a fine wire mesh and there is no way I missed all
these 1 inch round nuts. This didn't show up the two previous
years--maybe the tree has a cycle.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 16-06-2005, 04:38 PM
PatK

DigitalVinyl wrote:
PatK wrote:

[...]

Damn squirrels. What did somebody on here call them? Lawn rats? I think
that's appropriate. G

Pat
Old 18-06-2005, 12:59 AM
DigitalVinyl

I'm guessing this is the mother PokeWeed plant-- doesn't have a red
stem as much as a purple-ish one. Almost looks like it is purple
underneath a green skin.

It has a thick and very fleshy, smooth stalk. This one is just
starting with little white flowers and is about 2 1/2 feet tall.

I spotted this last year and wondered what the heck it was. It was
around 4-5 feet tall when I think a gardener whacked it down.

http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl6...ed-mother1.jpg

Old 09-07-2005, 03:38 AM
Suzy O

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message ...
"Vox Humana" wrote:

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
. ..

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...af.jpg&.src=ph

Found this foot tall...weed? Seems to have magically appeared in about
2 days. I just pulled bolted spinach from the bed on Saturday and
Monday evening and never noticed this foot-tall, foot-wide plant was
there.

Unless it is a volunteer of somethign I can't recognize.

I don't think it is poke weed. Poke weed is a nuisance for me, but I don't
find it too hard to control. I just keep cutting or stepping it down.
Eventually it dies.

The plant in the picture look very similar to brugmansia. Maybe it is a
datura. I would let it go and see what happens.
http://www.americanbrugmansia-daturasociety.org/

I did grow a datura (flower points downward--they get confused with
brughmansia a lot). Although this lacks the furry/slky feel of the
leaves. Also my datura had a hairy stem.

Oops, you've got them backwards. Datura is an annual and sometimes called "Angel Trumpet." The flowers grow upward (toward the angels, I suppose it means). Brugmansia is a tender perennial and the flowers hang down like bells.

Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

[IMG] code is On

Large fish very fast ~ janj Ponds 2 20-04-2006 06:25 PM
Collected large yews and large maple Mark Planter Bonsai 1 06-04-2005 06:21 PM
Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
how to get rid of fast growing grass in low growing lawn? Steve Gardening 1 18-07-2004 06:02 PM
fast growing large leafed ivy Paul United Kingdom 7 02-08-2003 03:02 PM