Old 14-06-2005, 03:12 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default New, large fast growing ... weed?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...af.jpg&.src=ph

Found this foot tall...weed? Seems to have magically appeared in about
2 days. I just pulled bolted spinach from the bed on Saturday and
Monday evening and never noticed this foot-tall, foot-wide plant was
there.

Unless it is a volunteer of somethign I can't recognize.

Anybody recognize the critter?
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph
Old 14-06-2005, 03:21 AM
PatK

DigitalVinyl wrote:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...af.jpg&.src=ph

Found this foot tall...weed? Seems to have magically appeared in about
2 days. I just pulled bolted spinach from the bed on Saturday and
Monday evening and never noticed this foot-tall, foot-wide plant was
there.

Unless it is a volunteer of somethign I can't recognize.

Anybody recognize the critter?
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

Kind of looks like a pokeweed I had in my yard last year. If it is, you
want to get rid of it. It's a huge, nasty plant that will take over your
neighborhood. Make sure to get all of the root or it'll come right back.

Pat
Old 14-06-2005, 03:28 AM
Vox Humana

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...af.jpg&.src=ph

Found this foot tall...weed? Seems to have magically appeared in about
2 days. I just pulled bolted spinach from the bed on Saturday and
Monday evening and never noticed this foot-tall, foot-wide plant was
there.

Unless it is a volunteer of somethign I can't recognize.

I don't think it is poke weed. Poke weed is a nuisance for me, but I don't
find it too hard to control. I just keep cutting or stepping it down.
Eventually it dies.

The plant in the picture look very similar to brugmansia. Maybe it is a
datura. I would let it go and see what happens.
http://www.americanbrugmansia-daturasociety.org/

Old 14-06-2005, 03:29 AM
DigitalVinyl

DigitalVinyl wrote:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...af.jpg&.src=ph

Could this be an avocado plant?!
Certainly has a tropical look to the leaves.

I think I may have tossed a avocado pit or two into compost sometime
and mixed it into the soil last fall.

Old 14-06-2005, 04:01 AM
simy1

you are right, it is an avocado. I have two as houseplants and I was
wondering why it looked so familiar.

Old 14-06-2005, 05:10 AM
Cereus-validus.....

Phytolacca americana, better known as "Poke Weed".

The fruit is a berry and birds drop the seeds everywhere in their poop.

Old 14-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Travis

DigitalVinyl wrote:
DigitalVinyl wrote:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...af.jpg&.src=ph

Could this be an avocado plant?!
Certainly has a tropical look to the leaves.

I think I may have tossed a avocado pit or two into compost sometime
and mixed it into the soil last fall.

Found this foot tall...weed? Seems to have magically appeared in
about 2 days. I just pulled bolted spinach from the bed on
Saturday and Monday evening and never noticed this foot-tall,
foot-wide plant was there.

Unless it is a volunteer of somethign I can't recognize.

Don't think it is an Avocado. An Avocado would not grow that much in 2
days.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 14-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Cereus-validus.....

Definitely not an avocado.

Avocados aren't fleshy with shiny leaves.

Its "Poke Weed", Phytolacca americana.

"Travis" wrote in message

Old 14-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Dick Adams

Travis wrote:
DigitalVinyl wrote:
DigitalVinyl wrote:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...af.jpg&.src=ph

Found this foot tall...weed? Seems to have magically appeared in
about 2 days. I just pulled bolted spinach from the bed on
Saturday and Monday evening and never noticed this foot-tall,
foot-wide plant was there.

Could this be an avocado plant?!
Certainly has a tropical look to the leaves.

I think I may have tossed a avocado pit or two into compost sometime
and mixed it into the soil last fall.

Unless it is a volunteer of somethign I can't recognize.
Don't think it is an Avocado. An Avocado would not grow
that much in 2 days.

Looks like a milkweed to me. Also looks like something I'd dig out
and throw in a garbage bag.

Dick

Old 14-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Stubby

Dick Adams wrote:

Travis wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...af.jpg&.src=ph

Found this foot tall...weed? Seems to have magically appeared in
about 2 days. I just pulled bolted spinach from the bed on
Saturday and Monday evening and never noticed this foot-tall,
foot-wide plant was there.

Looks like a milkweed to me. Also looks like something I'd dig out
and throw in a garbage bag.

I also believe it is milkweed. A string trimmer makes short work of it.

Old 14-06-2005, 03:00 PM

It has the appearance of a pokeweed seedling, if it were returning from
a perennial rootstock the stems would be fatter and somewhat red.

Old 14-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Milkweeds (Asclepias) have their leaves in pairs or sometimes whorled, not
alternate, Dickhead.

Throw it out, maybe. Poke Weed is edible.

"Dick Adams" wrote in message

Old 14-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Cereus-validus.....

You go ahead and believe that, Stubby, but you would still be completely
wrong.

Fifty lashes with a string trimmer for you.

"Stubby" wrote in message
Dick Adams wrote:

Old 15-06-2005, 12:55 AM
DigitalVinyl

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...af.jpg&.src=ph

Found this foot tall...weed? Seems to have magically appeared in about
2 days. I just pulled bolted spinach from the bed on Saturday and
Monday evening and never noticed this foot-tall, foot-wide plant was
there.

Unless it is a volunteer of somethign I can't recognize.

I don't think it is poke weed. Poke weed is a nuisance for me, but I don't
find it too hard to control. I just keep cutting or stepping it down.
Eventually it dies.

The plant in the picture look very similar to brugmansia. Maybe it is a
datura. I would let it go and see what happens.
http://www.americanbrugmansia-daturasociety.org/

I did grow a datura (flower points downward--they get confused with
brughmansia a lot). Although this lacks the furry/slky feel of the
leaves. Also my datura had a hairy stem.

Old 15-06-2005, 01:12 AM
DigitalVinyl

"Cereus-validus....." wrote:

Phytolacca americana, better known as "Poke Weed".

The fruit is a berry and birds drop the seeds everywhere in their poop.

Checked out some photos online, looks like a match. Even found one
showing the tiny leaves sprouting from the crotches. Although almost
all the pictures show red stems. The seedling pictures I found look
like the smaller weeds I am pulling out in bunches out back. It was a
new one this year... hadn't seen that seedling type before.

I can't be bothered with cooking it for greens--have to cook them as
they are poisonous raw and/or when mature. Out it comes.

Thanks to all...

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...af.jpg&.src=ph

Found this foot tall...weed? Seems to have magically appeared in about
2 days. I just pulled bolted spinach from the bed on Saturday and
Monday evening and never noticed this foot-tall, foot-wide plant was
there.

Unless it is a volunteer of somethign I can't recognize.

Anybody recognize the critter?
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph

[IMG] code is On

Large fish very fast ~ janj Ponds 2 20-04-2006 06:25 PM
Collected large yews and large maple Mark Planter Bonsai 1 06-04-2005 06:21 PM
Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
how to get rid of fast growing grass in low growing lawn? Steve Gardening 1 18-07-2004 06:02 PM
fast growing large leafed ivy Paul United Kingdom 7 02-08-2003 03:02 PM