Old 16-06-2005, 12:15 AM
William Wagner

In article ,
"Hound Dog" wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" expounded:

Would it bother you if your neighbor across the street parked an old car
on
his lawn, left it there to rust for 5 years, and for whatever reason,
there
was absolutely no way you could block the view using plants, fence, etc?

When I bought my house the next door neighbors basically had a
junkyard in their backyard. Dead washers, dryers, three rusting tin
sheds, a couple junk trucks, all kinds of tires, etc. Oh well. I
loved my house. They've moved on, new people live there now, they've
cleaned it up, life goes on. It's amazing what you can live with when
it really doesn't affect your basic life functions, like eating,
drinking, etc. Of course I'd rather not look at junk, but I'm not
paying their taxes or their mortgage. It's basically none of my
business.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

You are so right!

My neighbor across the back fence has at least half a dozen rusted out old
cars in his back yard. They were there when I move in and the neighbor nor
his junk cars has caused me any problems in the last three years.

The man I bought this property from said he had checked with the local
government and as long as the vehicles are hidden by a front fence, they can
do nothing about it.

Except for the junk cars, he keeps his home and yard in nice condition.

As I mentioned in a previous post, many things could be much worst.

Another way of looking at is the Garden concept of borrowed scenery.
Some time you can include mount Fuji in your garden view. I'd hazard a
guess not many of us can. So we plant according.
No rusting junk about here just many bored barking dogs.

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This may contain copyrighted (© ) material the use of

Old 16-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Philip Lewis

William Wagner writes:
No rusting junk about here just many bored barking dogs.

worse than junk in my opinion... you can look away/go inside to get
away from junk... barking will penetrate the walls.
(ok.. so you can use earplugs... but that's more excessive i think)

sigh..

--
be safe.
flip

Old 16-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Philip Lewis

"Doug Kanter" writes:
Don't you have an animal control resource, and local ordnances which address
barking dogs?

I imagine that there are... but i'd want to take the step of talking
to the neighbor first--- and for me, that would mean keeping an
infraction diary so i can point out specific instances so i can answer
questions of "when?!" --- which comes down to too much work at this
level of annoyance. I was mostly commiserating with Mr Wagner.

All in all, I think It bothers my wife more than it does me... but
even I was upset over the the various 3-6 am extended ( 10 minutes)
barking sessions. (the neighbor works odd hours). Usually by morning
I have better things to do than track the neighbor down.

It hasn't been quite as bad lately (perhaps because it's been winter,
and all the windows were shut making it less noticeable.) She also
lost a dog within the last year or so, and though that dog didn't
start the barking usually, the dogs fed off each other's barking
and the sessions would last longer.

For some reason, sound pollution seems to me to be more egregious an
offense than clutter and/or weeds...

I *have* suggested to her that 7:30am might be a little early for
yardwork involving power lawn tools, though.... mostly because i was
leaving for work, and I knew my wife was still sleeping.

I try to do most of my gardening with hand tools.
Anyone have good push mower tune up tips? (partially rhetorical
question, the mower is in reasonable shape now... and i havn't done my
part by googling first.... just trying to bring the topic back to
gardens.

There is just something soothing about the reel mower whirr.
I've considered starting a company to do "quiet" gardening using hand
or silent electric tools. wondering if it would go over, or be
prohibitively expensive.

Old 18-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Spud Demon

Philip Lewis writes in article dated 16 Jun 2005 15:15:50 -0400:
All in all, I think It bothers my wife more than it does me... but
even I was upset over the the various 3-6 am extended ( 10 minutes)
barking sessions. (the neighbor works odd hours). Usually by morning
I have better things to do than track the neighbor down.

Why wait until morning? If the neighbor's dog barks at nighttime, call her
on the phone right away. If she's working, the voicemail will record the
time so you don't have to think about it. If she doesn't hear the barking
because she's watching TV or something, maybe she will put a stop to it.
If she's sleeping peacefully through all the commotion and you're not, wake
her.

I'm just that way. I had a roommate borrow a lighter after I went to sleep
one evening (without permission). In the morning I felt like a smoke, so I
woke him up.

"It's a shame you had to wake me up for *that*."

"Yeah, it is."

It didn't happen again.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Old 18-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Doug Kanter

"Spud Demon" wrote in message
Philip Lewis writes in article
dated 16 Jun 2005 15:15:50 -0400:
All in all, I think It bothers my wife more than it does me... but
even I was upset over the the various 3-6 am extended ( 10 minutes)
barking sessions. (the neighbor works odd hours). Usually by morning
I have better things to do than track the neighbor down.

Why wait until morning? If the neighbor's dog barks at nighttime, call
her
on the phone right away. If she's working, the voicemail will record the
time so you don't have to think about it. If she doesn't hear the barking
because she's watching TV or something, maybe she will put a stop to it.
If she's sleeping peacefully through all the commotion and you're not,
wake
her.

Even better: Get someone else to handle the problem for you. Call the cops,
and keep calling them every time the stupid dog barks in the middle of the
night. They HATE dealing with this kind of stuff, so they, in turn, will get
all over the animal control people, and if there are existing laws for
dealing with barking vermin, the barking will stop, or the dog will be
hauled off to the pound, where it will soon be put to death. That's the
right solution.

Old 18-06-2005, 02:51 PM
William Wagner

Anyone every read Ecotopia? Lord Fouls Bane by Donaldson another
worth a look. Both wonderful but a word of warning. Lord Foul is the
first of a series of eight. In the end only women ..... Nah....check
them out from your local library.

"Tell the lords in Riverstone there is no hope for the land."

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This may contain copyrighted (© ) material the use of
which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright
owner. Such material is made available for educational purposes, to
advance understanding of human rights, democracy, scientific, moral,
ethical, and social justice issues, etc. It is believed that this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided
for in Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 of the US Copyright Law. This
material is distributed without profit.

[IMG] code is On

Composting and neighbors LoneEarth Gardening 13 27-06-2003 11:56 PM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 5 27-06-2003 05:32 PM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 0 25-06-2003 06:38 AM
Peeing on Neighbors Yard BiG_Orange Gardening 47 02-06-2003 03:44 PM
Aargh! Blasted Orchids! Diana Kulaga Orchids 4 08-03-2003 09:25 PM