Old 25-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Donald Gares

Default Identification needed....

Can anyone identify the perennial which we just placed at
http://www.crsales.com/whatisit.htm ?

We purchased a home that has an abundance of perennials and have
identified most all of them except this very bright orange one.

Cheers,

Don & Rhonda

Old 25-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Asclepias tuberosa, a.k.a. "Butterfly Weed".

Despite the common name, it is not weedy at all but it does attract
butterflies.

Old 25-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Donald Gares

nonews wrote:

Most common common name is Butterfly Weed. Botanical name is
Asclepias tuberosa.

"Donald Gares" wrote in message
Can anyone identify the perennial which we just placed at
http://www.crsales.com/whatisit.htm ?

We purchased a home that has an abundance of perennials and have
identified most all of them except this very bright orange one.

Cheers,

Don & Rhonda

Hey, thanks to both of you for your prompt responses. We also have what
is called "butterfly bushes" which are just starting to bloom.....any
connection or relation to the "butterfly weed"?

Cheers,

Don & Rhonda

Old 25-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Aspasia

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:02:16 -0500, Donald Gares
wrote:

nonews wrote:

Most common common name is Butterfly Weed. Botanical name is
Asclepias tuberosa.

"Donald Gares" wrote in message
Can anyone identify the perennial which we just placed at
http://www.crsales.com/whatisit.htm ?

We purchased a home that has an abundance of perennials and have
identified most all of them except this very bright orange one.

Cheers,

Don & Rhonda

Hey, thanks to both of you for your prompt responses. We also have what
is called "butterfly bushes" which are just starting to bloom.....any
connection or relation to the "butterfly weed"?

Cheers,

If you're thinking of Buddleia, I don't believe they're the same,
judging from the botanical name. Wiser heads will correct me if
wrong.

Buddleia (sp) can get away from you if not firmly pruned when
it gets too big & woody.

--

Aspasia

Old 25-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Both attract butterflies.

Apparently the previous owners had a thing for butterflies.

Old 25-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Butterfly Weed = Asclepias tuberosa

Butterfly Bush = Buddleia

Very different and in different plant families.

What they do have in common is that they attract butterflies.

Old 26-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Travis

wrote:

nonews wrote:

[...]

It can be invasive also.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 22-07-2005, 05:05 AM
Suzy O

wrote:

nonews wrote:

[...]

Here in Zone 5 Wisconsin, we wish the Buddleia was a bit closer to
invasive -- we're lucky if it makes it from year to year. Even when it
does, sooner or later it doesn't make it through winter.

Suzy O