Old 27-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Paul Wakfer

Default squirrel or rat in attic?

Rockford Wrote:
My friend Eddie trapped a four inch rodent in his attic. He and I cannot
recognize what kind of rodent it is. I thought at first it was a mouse
or a rat, but its feather-like tail makes me doubt this.

it looks like an opossum
Old 27-06-2005, 05:52 AM
Bert Byfield

My friend Eddie trapped a four inch rodent in his attic. He and I cannot
recognize what kind of rodent it is. I thought at first it was a mouse
or a rat, but its feather-like tail makes me doubt this.

it looks like an opossum

A possum has a naked tail like a rat. A "feather-like" tail sounds like a
squirrel.

Old 27-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Paul Wakfer

Bert Byfield wrote
A possum has a naked tail like a rat. A "feather-like" tail sounds like a
squirrel.

well, since I live near the OP's friend "Eddie", I can tell you we
have some unusual looking opossums of the not-normal-tail variety..
thus my guess is still an opossum
Old 28-06-2005, 12:23 AM
DrLith

Paul Wakfer wrote:
Rockford Wrote:

My friend Eddie trapped a four inch rodent in his attic. He and I cannot
recognize what kind of rodent it is. I thought at first it was a mouse
or a rat, but its feather-like tail makes me doubt this.

it looks like an opossum

Does it have very large, black eyes and a furry flap of skin between the
front and rear legs? Possibly a flying squirrel! (If you're in the U.S.,
there's a couple of species that are less rare in urban areas than you
might imagine.)

They're smaller and "mousier" looking that regular squirrels, and have a
tail that could, indeed, be describes as feather-like. Here's a link to
some info on the southern variety, but the northern variety looks very
similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_flying_squirrel